Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crimping Cables

FIXED
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Crimping Cables

Is it possible to crimp an Ethernet cable with an intermittent fault?

I needed to run a cable through a wall to put my router beside my PC's so did so yesterday. While I did disconnect from the internet I forgot to power off the Hub One so totally screwed up trying to get re-connected (amazing what you can do with a factory re-set!!!). Anyway my freshly crimped cabled flatly refused to connect and I got an orange light with a red warning sign.

Finally re-connected using a spare 10m cable I happened to have and all was fine (apart from having an American registered IP address!!!).

I borrowed a cable tester from a neighbour today and the cable passed. Disconnected from the internet, powered down the router, changed the cables and hey presto it worked. Then, a while with the PC is sleep mode the router went back to orange with the red warning. Powered down, waited a couple of minutes and switched back on. Blue light eventually came on but before I connected it went back to orange. While I was sitting muttering to myself about what to do next it went back to blue and I'm currently on-line.

Brian

21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Crimping Cables

As you have a crimping tool and a tester I'd be inclined to redo both ends, if for nothing else but peace of mind.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I've often found that giving both ends an extra hard squeeze with the crimping tool can turn a failure into a pass.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Fix

I have had nightmares fitting Ethernet plugs. It is much easier to fit and wire a socket then use a short patch cable between the socket and the subject equipment. This also makes a much more professional job with a fixed cable installation as the sockets can be wall mounted at each end. When not in use you don't have cables lying around.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero

One end is original. The cable worked fine before I cut one end off.

It appears to work when I'm using the PC - it's when I have it in sleep mode that I have problems. I was watching BT Sport on TV when it went down but came back up itself. However about 10 minutes later it went down and stayed down. Re-booted the router and all's fine at the moment - but then I'm using the PC and watching the rugby on a ChromeBook.

I need to see if the problems persists - if it does then I'll try re-crimping one end but unfortunately the tester is on it's way back to it's work place.

Brian

Strat
Community Veteran

I have an under-floor ethernet cable which pops up at each end of a room and terminates in wall sockets.

I agree it is preferable and neater than a bare cable with RJ45s on each end.

Ethernet testers are pretty cheap but I don't know what this one is like.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
bmc
Hero

OK, things just changed. It went off line while I was using the PC so it's random. Funnily enough I saw the warning light a good 10 seconds before the rugby froze on screen. Had to power the router off / on again.

The cable has to go along the skirting board and through a wall between two doors before going up and over the door. I'm fine with that. I'll try re-crimping the cable. If that doesn't work I'll consider a socket with a wall mounted box.

Brian

bmc
Hero

It went yet again so I'm back to using my spare cable lying on the carpet.

I'll try crimping a new connection next week but if that fails I'll go with a wall box & socket - might even forget to mount the box on the wall because it'll be behind my desk and "heavy" spare PC.

The more I think about it the more I wish I'd thought of this in the first place - would have saved buying the crimping tool. Thanks @Baldrick1 

Brian

Strat
Community Veteran

You'll probably need a decent IDC punch-down tool unless you find a screw terminal socket.

Cheap/free plastic punch-down tools have a useful life of a few minutes of use.

bmc
Hero

I have a cheap Krone from a few years ago when I put in filtered face plates. If my eyes don't deceive me I also got one with the crimp tool - see the image.

Brian

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

With your current cable, make sure both ends are connected with the same colours at each end, otherwise it could cause problems with networking equipment...

ethcable568a

bmc
Hero

Second attempt at crimping failed miserably so it looks like a wall socket is on my to buy list next time I'm on Amazon!!!

Brian

Strat
Community Veteran

Just for reference I like these type of 2 piece plugs where the cable end is prepared and the little insert is slipped onto the end of the cores in the correct order. The the insert is then popped into the body of the plug with the insert guiding the cores in.

However I have just spotted these for the first time and find them very interesting.

Good luck with your cabling @bmc

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@bmc wrote:

Second attempt at crimping failed miserably so it looks like a wall socket is on my to buy list next time I'm on Amazon!!!

Generally, crimp plugs are used with stranded conductors, whilst socket type IDC connectors are more suited to solid conductors.  Sometimes crimp plugs are used on solid type cables and they don't always make proper contact with the conductors, and vice-versa,

bmc
Hero

@Strat

Interesting products - pity they appear to sell them in packs of 50!!!

@RobPN

Bit technical for me. I simply bought a patch cable and cut one end off to feed it through a wall (in the belief it would save me from doing a second crimp!!!) See http://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/cat5e-ethernet-cables/41829-cat5e-rj45-patch-cables.html

After two failed attempts I bought a Lindy wall socket (it fitted a wall box I already had) in the hope that would be easier.

Guess what, that failed miserably as well. Couldn't get an internet connection full stop. At least my first attempt at crimping gave me an intermittent connection.

Brian