Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple of Windows 7 questions

journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Couple of Windows 7 questions

Follow on from initial questions. I’ve installed win 7 (64bit) and the program directory on a new ssd drive, leaving the XP on the normal SATA drive for dual boot.
Any tips or ideas, on what settings I should change from the basic win 7 setup.
(dramatic improvement from boot-up to a package like Erdas fully loaded takes less than 10 seconds compared  with 90+ seconds)                  
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Windows 7 was designed to facilitate usage with SSDs and it is debatable whether you should change the basic settings.  A lot of the tweaks you can find online are really about trading functionality for speed and are not SSD-specific.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Mav
Functionally there's no difference between Home and Professional

I've not tried Win 7 Pro but I have Win7 HP on this machine. After having been with XP Pro for many years I must say I really can't say anything bad about 7HP. It's very good, very stable and i have minimal trouble with it. With XP I would need to reinstall at the most every 9 months. I could rarely get it to live longer than that as a daily use machine with various different pieces of software installed (so i started installing the complex ones into virtual machines to save myself the hassle). Win7 I've had on this machine from new since summer a year and half ago. No system errors or glitches yet and although it gets a bit slow sometimes I've yet to suffer any "it's time to reinstall" symptoms yet like I would with XP.
The only thing I don't like about 7HP is I can't use terminal services to make an incoming connection OR host multiple RD sessions like you could with XP (via a hack). That is the one downside to Win7HP along with the run command on the start menu that doesn't remember your previous selections.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!