Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple of Windows 7 questions

journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Couple of Windows 7 questions

I'd like to upgrade one of my desktop systems to windows 7, but would like to evaluate some specific software before a full switch to Windows 7.
Plan is to install a new Hard disk, disconnect the current C:\ drive ( XP) and install Win 7 on the new disk. Then to reconnect the XP disk. Then through the Bios choose which OS I want to run at boot time.
1) Can somebody advise, Is http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-link... a legal site to download Win 7 from?
2) Does win 7 have a trial period?
I'm not actually sure which version I want, so may need to try both Home premium and Professional. If win 7 doesn't work with the software I won't upgrade.
17 REPLIES 17
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Couple of Windows 7 questions

You'll need a product key to do the install!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mav
Fixes: 514

Quote from: journeys
I'm not actually sure which version I want, so may need to try both Home premium and Professional. If win 7 doesn't work with the software I won't upgrade.

If you go for W7 Professional it includes a licence for XP which can run virtually from within W7.
Functionally there's no difference between Home and Professional except for the XP mode mentioned above (you do have to download the  free software separately from MS) and professional makes connecting to a network easier as well as having backup/restore functions (compare).

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Plan is to install a new Hard disk, disconnect the current C:\ drive ( XP) and install Win 7 on the new disk. Then to reconnect the XP disk. Then through the Bios choose which OS I want to run at boot time.

I did that. It works fine.
1) Can somebody advise, Is http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-link... a legal site to download Win 7 from?

I think that points to the DigitalRiver web site.  Those are genuine copes of Windows

30 days.  Just skip any requests for the product key.  I have done this many times (so I know Jelv's answer is wrong).
I'm not actually sure which version I want, so may need to try both Home premium and Professional.

Mav gave details but ALL versions have some backup/restore functions (as the comparison indicates).
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: ReedRichards

30 days.  Just skip any requests for the product key.  I have done this many times (so I know Jelv's answer is wrong).

Didn't know that. Are you able to do any updates during the trial period without the key?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Windows 7 behaves perfectly normally during the 30-day 'trial period' and you can install any Microsoft updates you desire.  Vista is the same.  Windows XP and Windows 8 have no trial period and require the product key during the installation. 
jelv
Seasoned Hero

It will have been on XP I tried to do something like that. [OT]I wonder why they changed it (and reverted on Win 8 )?[/OT]
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Deleted: Didn't know you were going to dualboot, so the idea of a WM to test the layout and stuff of the new OS is useless.
Sorry!
CX
Grafter

If you're going to dual boot Windows XP and Windows 7, just be aware that system restore/shadow copies belonging to Windows 7 will get removed if you boot into Windows XP (unless you hide the Windows 7 partition from XP).
Not a big problem if you're using e.g. Macrium Reflect for backups, but it will mess up Windows Backup in Windows 7.
Razer
Grafter

How does that happen, exactly? I don't see how XP would remove backups from another, separate OS.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It isn't the backups which get removed it is the restore points http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185#appliesto
Razer
Grafter

Thank you for that, Jim. Maybe I missed something in the article, but I didn't seem to find any reason why XP would seek out and decide to delete files automatically from another, separate OS that to my mind it has no business interfering with. I wonder if it does the same with non MS OSs. Might explain why I had such a bad time with XP/Linux dual boot.
journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Not that I plan to use it but does anybody know if the  win 7 - DOS command
slmgr -rearm
works.          It seems to be public knowledge.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Razer
... Maybe I missed something in the article, but I didn't seem to find any reason why XP would seek out and decide to delete files automatically from another, separate OS that to my mind it has no business interfering with....

I had been living in blissful ignorance of this particular flaw but I tested it on my dual-boot XP/Windows 7 system and starting XP really did destroy the Windows 7 restore points.  I haven't yet had time to try the workaround.
Razer
Grafter

Awful. I'd be blowing my top if it were happening to my system.
Not that I use system restore (I make my own full disc sector backups), but it still puts me off trying W7 in a dual boot with XP for what else may occur. Getting rather worried too as I need to try something as XP support is due to end this year Sad (I'm so angry, I don't want to abandon XP. Bloody MS and their greed: Tinker, tinker, here's a 'new' OS and now we'll force you to move over and give us your money).