cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could I Swap?

CL01
Grafter

Could I Swap?

So I'm going to have to strip down my laptop (Fan blades are damaged) and I was wondering if I could replace the CPU on my laptop. The laptop I have is an Acer Aspire 5732Z. It has an Intel Pentium T3400 (Socket P) inside. I want to replace it with the following:
Intel Core 2 Duo T9600
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9300
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9100
Would this be possible? If I managed to find one of the above, would the upgrade be worth it?
15 REPLIES 15
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Could I Swap?

the t9600 has a different socket according to cpuworld, the other 2 have a 10w higher tdp so that might also be a problem, acer list the laptop as having a t4400 2.2ghz though so unless that's on a different mobo its possible you could upgrade the cpu  however any upgrade is likely to be small enough to be pointless ...
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
CL01
Grafter

Okay, thankyou for your input. I think I'll just look for another laptop Smiley
gromittz
Grafter

I had a similar problem with an old acer 5920. Fan bearings had given up and the noise would drive me nuts.
Think it cost me around a tenner for a new one from ebay.
Found some you-tube videos on how to do it and its been fine ever since. Still using it for movies and sky go sat next to my main PC.
Just found some videos on your Acer and it looks like a proper faff to get to the fan. Almost everything apart from the screen has to come out !
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

How did the fan blades get damaged?
If you take it apart and it doesn't work, you have lost nothing.
If you are able to disable the fan, would it be usable as a low powered server?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

CL01
Grafter

@promod I have taken it apart and it took me forever. An hour at least Tongue I think I'm just going to get a newer, slimmer laptop instead like this. @vilefox I don't have a clue, I just noticed it wasn't spinning, looked at it with a torch to see the fan blades were broken. I have already taken it apart once and put it back together fine, but I really can't see the point anyway. If I was to fix the problems it still wouldn't be much use as it is really heavy and bulcky for what I consider to be a "laptop". It might be a good call to use it as a server, I could put it next to my current gaming machine and use it for transfering files and stuff like that. Good call Cheesy I'm basically writing it off now, this is a lot better for what I want. And it'll go well with my black and red themed obsession that I have Tongue
gromittz
Grafter

Good excuse for a new toy  Tongue
Mine was always going to be suck it and see. If it broke , it broke..
I did manage to upgrade the CPU and RAM to the maximum my board would support.
All in I spent around £30 and breathed new life into it. Was never going to set the computing world alight, but still good enough for what I use it for.
CL01
Grafter

So I've decided to go for the ASUS EeeBook E403. It is extremely light, decently poweful with what I want to do and can easily be expaneded with an external hard drive if I use more that 32GB which I probably will. For the price I think it is great value but I would have prefered to go with the Asus Zenbook UX305 instead for the added processing power, ram and ssd storage but I dont have 600-900 GBP lying around so this will do for me. It was 220 GBP from PCWorld Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

You can pick-up a 120GB SSD for as little as £34 (e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00S9Q9UKS/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-strip... ) yet this isn't reflected in what you pay for small computers and tablets where you are liable to pay a huge premium for that much (electronic) storage.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Epicambo
Acer

Bin it... Grin
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I've got a very nice Acer netbook - 500GB hard disk, 4GB slow dual processor 12" screen.
It's been on holiday with me to Wales, Berlin, New York Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

CL01
Grafter

So far ive got my asus running ubuntu 15 and is running fine. Glad i didnt choose another acer Cheesy
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

well acer used to make decent products but that all seems to have gone out the window along with their prior good warrantee program which has also diminished in recent years....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
CL01
Grafter

Oh my Acer laptop has been nothing bust annoying. First the screen broke, then the socket for charging snapped and then it started overheating. This Asus on the other hand doesn't even have a fan and it's still cooler and more comfortable to use, more premium feeling and 50 gbp cheaper.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Cheap purchases ultimately end up being more expensive compared to quality purchases, as with cheap stuff, you replace them more frequently, and when you add up how much is spent on replacing cheap goods with more cheap goods, people will find that buying decent goods is cheaper in the long run... Cool