cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cordless drill batteries

fishrow
Grafter

Cordless drill batteries

Like most tools cordless drills range in price including those with a "Pro" tag. There might be an expectation of robustness attached also.
The question is, would a Li-on battery pack be borked internally somehow by a severe knock or fall from a metre or so?
These re-chargeable cells have a 1.2v capacity so that's why you see camera batteries at 7.2v or 9.6v and cordless stuff at 14.4 and 18v as they are multiples of the 1.2v.
So there's a bunch of cells connected  up and to the terminals. The cells aren't exactly "loose" but a jolt heavy enough might that break a connecting wire?
8 REPLIES 8
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Cordless drill batteries

Has it had a fall yet?  Grin
Try to avoid concrete.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

fishrow
Grafter

Well, yes, some months back. But ti still worked. I went to use it yesterday and zilch, even the charger rejected it so I wondered if its internals had been borked despite that still working earlier.  However, it is charging now as we speak, er, write, as I gave it a few slow in and outs of the charger.  Smiley
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

That repeated short "charge bursts" method also works with laptop batteries that refuse to charge "normally". It seems that the voltage level gets below the point where the battery data can be read and the short bursts lift the voltage just enough for the charging circuit to be "happy" Shocked
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Cordless drill batteries aren't great at being left unused for long periods. I've lost several of them due to mis-use and no matter how many tricks I tried to bring them back and get them to charge all my efforts were wasted.
To be honest, if you've trashed it, you'd be better off dismantling it (assuming it's screwed together and not sealed) and replacing the cells yourself. They're usually C size.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Sprite
you'd be better off dismantling it (assuming it's screwed together and not sealed) and replacing the cells yourself

That's good to know. I suppose they're very similar in construction (but bigger) to a shaver battery I did. Just a couple of cells to replace and a few short wires soldered across the terminals.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Check out YouTube for videos on how to dismantle and fix up cordless drill batteries... quite a few options on there.... enter the drill make/model in the search box, and see what comes up....  Wink
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: Sprite
To be honest, if you've trashed it, you'd be better off dismantling it (assuming it's screwed together and not sealed) and replacing the cells yourself. They're usually C size.

In my experience having fixed half a dozen or so they're usually 4/5 sub-C size. Of course, it could just have been coincidence that the ones I did happened to use this size though.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Yup and remarkably c size batteries can have just as high capacity as a lot of D size cells - go figure!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!