cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying to DVD using Vista

Not applicable

Copying to DVD using Vista

I am currently using Memorex DVD+RW discs. If I copy using the Windows facility (I format the disc first), I find that when I try to replay, it often freezes and the disc is useless.  I have tried the (copied) disc on my external DVD drive and it does the same so it is obviously not a problem with the laptop drive. 
Yesterday I did a full backup onto DVD using the Vista backup facility and the same thing happened (rather annoying because it takes so long anyway).
If I use Nero things seem to be OK.  Does anyone know why?
Also, when files are stored on a re-writable disc, can they still be moved about? e.g. dragging and dropping documents into folders.  When I tried this after copying files onto DVD via Vista, it corrupted  the disc again and I couldn't use it anymore.
8 REPLIES 8
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Copying to DVD using Vista

are you getting confused by the rw, that doesnt in fact mean rewritable, it means read and write. 
With a rewritable disc you can move an item, but it doesnt release the space, it just unmarks it, so the capacity of the disc is reduced.
Hope this helps
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

RW does mean rewritable http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-RW
This may be a problem with the +RW format and Vista.
Can you try using a -R disk.
Note that I stopped using RW a long time ago because of variable results. I now use -R all the time. Providing you don't finalise the disk you can add more content until the disk is full but cannot reclaim the space when a file is deleted.
The cost of -R disks is so low it isn't worth messing about.
Not applicable

Thank you for the replies. I did wonder about the + format so I will have a go with -.  I have wasted several discs - good job they are not too expensive.  With regards to finalizing discs, I usually have the setting on add more files when using Nero. I had all but given up on the Vista copying and only used it this time for the backup facility. I didn't realise that if you move files on the disc the space couldn't be used again.
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

I completely concur with Oldjim, haven't used an RW disk for ages, for much the same reasons. As rule of thumb, -R for data; back-up's etc. +R for entertainment; music, video clips etc.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
lingbob
Grafter

Quote from: poppy
I didn't realise that if you move files on the disc the space couldn't be used again.

The space can be re-used providing the disc is either a RW or a RAM and has been formatted with the UDF file system. That's what Vista's Live File System is supposed to be all about. The snag is, it's so seriously flawed that it's unusable  Sad
Regards .....
Not applicable

I have a DVD/Video machine that uses RAM discs and yes, they can be deleted and rewritten to. My friend's machine won't play them so I copied to the DVD +RW disc and that didn't work either. Should I obtain DVD R to copy them to?
The 'rule of thumb' advice is useful. Interestingly, it was my friend who gave me the DVD+RW discs and her XP computer didn't like them either. USB sticks are much easier.
It sounds as if I am not the only one with problems - another thumbs down for Vista!
oliverb
Grafter

We got stuck with a Vista system at work. At the first attempt DVD writing wrecked several disks, later we reinstalled Vista and after that for some reason it worked.
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: poppy
I have a DVD/Video machine that uses RAM discs

Many modern DVD/CD writers won't write to RAM disks, or won't play them. Might be that's a problem, rather than Vista.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.