Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying Windows 7

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Copying Windows 7

Laptop has Windows 7 installed on it and a separate partition of the hard drive has a copy or recovery of windows 7 this is a legit copy pre installed that came with the laptop.
What I am wanting to do is wipe the disk, reinstall windows 7 and then install Linux to give a dual booting system. Is it possible to save the partition which has the copy of Windows 7 on it or is this a non starter ?
My thinking in wiping the disk is that Windows 7 is getting a lot slower and despite clearing as much junk as possible including defragging I would like to start again.
Any additional advice on this topic would be helpful.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
9 REPLIES 9
Devonian
Grafter

Re: Copying Windows 7

You could just back up your files and do a full factory reset.. that's worked wonders for me in the past.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

There's no point in wiping the whole disk for this, just delete the Windows partition. You probably don't even need to do that, just boot into the recovery thing. Probably the only option you get is to wipe off the current installation and install Windows and everything else it came with out of the box.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks for the responses.
Only attempted this once on a desktop and all went well but for some reason Windows kept the old files, not sure why or if it was necessary for any reason.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
shalom2010
Grafter

I think by default it keeps windows.old. If it offers a format - take that option, then I don't think there will be a windows.old folder (which is safe to delete anyway)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Just do what Devonian and ejs suggest.  Your old files will not be kept unless you are given that option and accept it.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

my Acer  gave me the option to create a set of recovery disc,s , cant you do this also ?
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
7up
Community Veteran

It's a laptop so may not have a burner (don't forget some people call their netbook a laptop!).
I have XP Home on my netbook and despite the software being included to burn the disk(s) I have no burner so if my HDD fails..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Sprite
I have no burner so if my HDD fails..
You will have a back up from a portable HDD via USB using free programme called Clonezilla
Edit. Then again maybe not. Cheesy
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: rongtw
my Acer  gave me the option to create a set of recovery disc,s , cant you do this also ?

This just duplicates the contents of the recovery partition onto disc whilst adding an extra step where things can go wrong.  The point of making recovery discs is to guard against the possibility of hard drive failure.  That's the only point.