cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy downloaded video file to DVD

lynn

Copy downloaded video file to DVD

How do I copy a downloaded video file to a DVD + RW disc.  I have downloaded a copy of Everybody Loves Raymond; how do I copy this tv program onto a DVD disc.  I think it is an AVI file.  My computer has a compact disc rewritable ultra speed on it but I don't know how to use it.  Thanks for any help.
3 REPLIES 3
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Copy downloaded video file to DVD

Moderators Note
Hi Lynn
Welcome to the forums
I have removed the poll as it was unnecessary, and I am sure posted in error.
Jonathan
aka Chilly
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

It would depend on what software you have installed.
Most drives when supplied come with some sort of software to allow you to write information to a CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW. For instance mine comes with Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD or you may have Nero as your writing software.
Either version will allow you to write the file out to a DVD or CD (if small enough) but it may not autostart and play like a normal DVD and you may not be able to play it back in a standard DVD player. If you want to make a ‘Playable’ DVD you will be best posting the software you have installed and others may advise you on the best method of producing such a DVD.
If you don’t have any of the above software installed but just want to write it out to a DVD as storage you might be able (you can with my version of XP) just right click the file and chose ‘Send To’ and send it to your DVD writer it will then be written direct to a DVD in your drive.
Hope that will help a little, regards, P.
worzel
Grafter

How you do it will depend, as Pendragon said, on what software you have, and how you are going to play the resulting disc.
If your DVD player can play Data formated DVD's and run AVI files, or you just want the disc for PC playback, then just use the basic "Copy to" as mentioned.
But, if you need to make a 'proper' Video DVD disc, the original AVI is going to have to be converted in MPEG / VOB file/s as used in a standard DVD.
If you need more information the can I suggest you visit http://www.videohelp.com/ which as the name suggests can help with anything to do with VIdeo and audio formats, files, discs etc.
They have full step-by-step guides to do just about anything, inlcuding links to all the software - inluding all the free stuff that is out there - plus a full forum, where people will beonly too pleased to help you through.
Basically, if you can't find out how to do something on there, then it probably can't be done!!