cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coping with misspelt URLs

matti_lamprhey
Dabbler

Coping with misspelt URLs

I have a domain meticula.co.uk hosted on PlusNet.  If someone types 'www.meticula.co.uk' they get to the site, and also if they type 'meticula.co.uk'.  I'd also like to be able to catch simple misspellings of the default subdomain, such as 'ww.meticula.co.uk' and 'wwww.meticula.co.uk'.
I thought I could do this by configuring additional DNS records on the domain, of the form:
                                ww.meticula.co.uk.    CNAME    www.meticula.co.uk.
(Note the final dots on each URL in the line above.)
I've left plenty of time for this to propogate, but it seems to be having no effect.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!
4 REPLIES 4
itsme
Grafter

Re: Coping with misspelt URLs

Have you tried doing a DNS lookup using something like http://www.iptools.com/
matti_lamprhey
Dabbler

Yes -- the CNAME records appear to have been propagated alright.  But they aren't having any apparent effect.  Presumably this is not the right way of achieving what I want.  Has anyone else succeeded in doing it?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

No it isn't the right way. The home pages webserver has thousands of domains all on the same IP address, for each name it has to have a mapping that points it to the correct directory for that website. So although you have set DNS records up for a visitors browser to go to the server, when the server gets a request for ww.meticula.co.uk it hasn't got a clue what to do with it.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
matti_lamprhey
Dabbler

OK -- so how do I get the necessary mapping set up?  Is it something I can do myself, or do I need to ask the PlusNet support folk to frig around with their stuff?