Did you mean: 

Continued quest for iPad info

FIXED
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Continued quest for iPad info

Printing:

In the Apple installed email app, I find I have an option to print, no problem there so far, but I am given only the most basic of printer options; such as choice of wi-fi printers (I have two), number of copies and if available a duplex option, but that is about it. I am not offered the printer options windows that I would be with a Windows PC. I can't for instance change the paper size or type (plain or photo etc.), draft, colour or B/W, one printer has an A3 option but I can't access this with the iPad.

I haven't yet got around to installing any office type programmes. Is it likely that my lack of print options with email is only because its email and more options would be shown with a "proper" word processor?

Or, is this going to need a Macbook to resolve it?

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
6 REPLIES 6
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Continued quest for iPad info

If you select which of your two "Airprint" printers you want to use you will see all of the print options that Apple wants to give you  https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ht201387 .  Installing other software will have no effect on this.

It's a tablet device.  If you expect it to be able to do all the things you can do on a full computer then you will be disappointed.

petlew
Pro

And again my thanks ReedRichard. That's not a lot of options though is it compared say to a Canon printer which can have three pages of them having very precise control of what the printer does. Paper size and say for instance printing an A4 original onto A5 and scaled to fit doesn't seem to figure at all with iPad, something I alter fairly regularly.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I always get the impression that the ability to print from an iPad was a feature added grudgingly by the designers to appease those Luddites that still wanted to do something so old-fashioned as making hard copies.

petlew
Pro

Since I don't have one; do the same printing "restrictions" exist with a Macbook?

This might just sway against a move away from Windows PC.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Fix

A Macbook is a proper computer and is not subject to the printing restrictions that apply to an iPad.  Not every printer is supported on macOS  (or on all versions of Windows, for that matter). 

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

There are some printing manufacturer utility apps that do give you extra options with printing documents. Of course this varies between different manufacturers.

Oh and to answer your other query in the other thread on iOS and security. iOS is described as a "walled garden" system because of the fact that things are "locked down" to what apple can only give you access to (I.e. System settings and apps from the App Store). All the apps in the store are vetted and checked for any security issues, so people are very very unlikely to get any malware from that route (edit: added an extra very for the correct extent of the likelihood).
That's RPM to you!!