Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering VDSL modem/router: Netgear vs Billion

GR4CE
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Considering VDSL modem/router: Netgear vs Billion

Has anyone got any experience with these two, please?
NETGEAR D6400-100UKS AC1600 Dual Band 300+1300 Mbps Wireless VDSL/ADSL
Billion BiPAC 8800AXL VDSL2(Fibre)/ADSL2+ Dual Band Wireless AC 1300
Thanks!
Edit: I just read that the Netgear doesn't support G.INP & Vectoring with the latest firmware (whatever that is! but it seems it's important for the UK)
9 REPLIES 9
thunderer
Grafter

Re: Considering VDSL modem/router: Netgear vs Billion

I have the Billion 8800AXL and when I first got it, I thought it was great, however I have had a few issues with it and trying to get certain things to work like WPS without having to ask around is a pain, the manual is pretty poor and as for the Billion forum, there's more life in a morgue than there.
The website never gets updated & I've just been and checked it and the last update was 8 months ago! Which to be quite honest is pathetic and the main website still shows the 8800 NL as the latest model. Which sort of says what sort of company Billion is.
I would strongly advise you to look elsewhere.
GR4CE
Rising Star

hmmm
Thanks.
I hardly ever had to contact any hardware support but for what I read, Netgear's is not good either Sad 
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

There's quite a few happy users of the 8800NL and some using the 8800AXL it's also G.INP compatible apparently, see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,136287.msg1214909.html#msg1214909
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

thunderer seems upset over his inability to figure out how to set up wps and customer support on the billion forum taking 2 days to respond to his post /
its amusing that the manual for the billion product he bought states WPS is disabled by default on the section about using it .......
adie:red removed offensive phrase.]
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
GR4CE
Rising Star

Hi guys, thanks for your input (I wasn't ignoring you, just got swamped with work) Smiley
We went for the Billion in the end. It was very easy to set up, it worked straight away.
What I found a bit disappointing is that when setting the MAC filtering list, there was no way of identifying the devices. That is, in my old Netgear I could add the MAC address and a name. Here it's just the MAC address.
I still have to read a lot and go through more settings because there are SO MANY!  I need time to learn Smiley
But even with the basic things I set up for now, I noticed a big increese in download speed. The Plusnet router was getting around 30Mbps, the Billion is usually above 40 (having reached 50Mbps!)
I'm happy for now.
nanotm
Pro

I found the way to do that was to open the dhcp page (from status) by hovering the mouse over the hyperlink for it right clicking and selecting open in a new window, then in the main window navigating to the mac filtering page and then I could check the device name and the mac address to selectively filter each device  (mainly for time controls)
under the mac filtering page I only have a port grouping where I have isolated the guest wifi from the main network.
other than that I have the url filter applied to specific fixed ip addresses and not to the remainder of users and of course I have time restrictions based on who's device it is, so the kids don't get internet access after they should be in bed or before they should be getting up.
there is a lot of info available though on all the features of the routers and billion tech support and their forums are a great source of info if you get stuck, my biggest hiccup was the way firewall rules are written (to me they should of been the other way round) and getting it wrong required a paperclip push to fix .....
GR4CE
Rising Star

Thanks nanotm! I'll definitely come back to this as soon as I can look into it and pick your brain  Smiley
nanotm
Pro

no worries, I have a different router to you though so some of it will be in different places and implemented differently as they used different iterations of the software in each range, currently I use the 7800dx with the eci modem although I will be changing that out for something a little more robust and less prone to heat stress because it should have come with a fan built in but for some unknown reason didn't /
thunderer
Grafter

Quote from: GR4CE
Thanks nanotm! I'll definitely come back to this as soon as I can look into it and pick your brain  Smiley

Don't pick to much as there isn't much there anyway.  Tongue