cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping

jackoab
Grafter

Connection dropping

About 2 months ago I had a problem when my connection started dropping every few minutes which caused my SNR to rise from 6Db to 12Db eventually I traced the problem to my phone which I replaced and everything was back to normal. Then it started again this weekend and I tried everything I could to correct the fault, changed the filter and the router moved the phone as far as possible from the router and still got frequent drops, eventually I disconnected the phone and all is right again, I can't believe that it is the phone causing the problem as I've tried 3 different phones and the results are the same.
My router is the Voyager 2110 supplied by Plusnet, I only use a wired connection, I've tried 3 different filters, fitted a new faceplate to the incoming socket and my router is next to the incoming supply, can anyone suggest what else I can do? Jack.
20 REPLIES 20
samuria
Grafter

Re: Connection dropping

From what you say you have proved its the phone. Is the phone on an extension and is it a DEC phone?
If its on an extension thats hard wired try removing the bell wire or fit a Iplate.
If its a plug in extension check the cable annd check if it goes near any source of noise like a TV, xbox, sky box, microwave.
Its possible its not the phone its self  but its acting as an Ariel and picking up noise. The best check is to get a small portable radio tune it on medium wave so there is no signal then walk near the router and phone and see if you get any noise if you do you may be able to find the source with the radio 
jackoab
Grafter

Hi Samuria,  Thanks for your reply.
I find it hard to believe it's the phone as I've tried 3 different phones both DEC and corded, also for 2 months it was trouble free and didn't drop once. The bell wire is dissed, I've tried directly connected to the filter and on a ten metre extention with no improvement.
Looking at the results of the tests I've tried I agree that it looks like the phone but I can't understand why it would be trouble free for 2 months and then start again,Jack.
paulby
Grafter

Have you tried connecting to the test socket exposed by removing the lower half of your master socket (assuming that you have an NTE5 master socket - see pictures below).  You'd still need to connect a microfilter with the modem and phone connected to it.?
Doing this will rule out any problems with your internal wiring (in fact you'll have to do it anyway if you raise a fault).
jackoab
Grafter

Hi paul03 thanks for your reply.
I don't have a master socket and I've replaced the frontplate of the incoming socket to rule that out. To be honest everything I've done points to the phone and then I've changed everything on the phone side without findind a solution. I'm beginning to suspect the wiring from the pole to my incoming connection but how can I check this? My reason for this is my attenuation is 37Db and I'm only 800 M. from the exchange, but I still can't explain why for 2 months it was trouble free?, Jack.
James
Grafter

Hi Jack,
Do you hear any noise on your phone line when making or receiving calls?
Have you tried a different router?  It looks like you havem but I wasn't totally sure.
jackoab
Grafter

Hi James,
                  No noise on the phone and have tried another router, with the phone connected it was dopping around 5-6 times an hour, with the phone dissed it hasn't dropped since Sunday morning. I've tried 3 phones and moved the phone as far as possible from the router and still the same, would it be worth trying a double filter on the phone?.
samuria
Grafter

Did you try the radio and did you get any noise anywhere as i said it may not be the actual phone but the wire is picking up niose?
jackoab
Grafter

Hi Samuria, The only radio I have is a DAB no medium wave, anything else I listen to on my PVR.
In desperation yesterday evening I fitted a second filter to the phone and for 14 hours it's been trouble free so my fingers and everything else are crossed, Jack.
James
Grafter

Hi Jack,
I don't think double filtering your phone socket would do any good.
I'd raise a fault by going to http://faults.plus.net
jackoab
Grafter

Hi James,  I've completed the Faults Checker, problem with the question about my sync light as the router is out of sight and reconnects immediately so I can't be sure of it's status. The result is that my phone is at fault but as I've tried so many different set-ups I can't see this being the problem.
Anyway at the moment it seems to be OK but I have no faith in it staying that way!! Jack.
James
Grafter

Hi Jack,
I think that given the number of phones that you've tried, I wouldn't expect it to be the problem.
I'd also expect that your sync light is dropping off when your connection drops.
jackoab
Grafter

Hi James, thanks for your input, I can't think of anything else to try so I'll keep my fingers crossed and see what happens, Jack.
jackoab
Grafter

James,  Just an idea that may be rubbish but as I know so little about this subject could you advise me, the wiring to my phone is very old and I think unusual, as the building was converted from Holiday lets to flats a few years ago and all the phones were through an exchange, when they were converted all the old wiring was re-utilized and my line comes from the pole to the top of the property (4 Floors) and then it somehow gets to the back ground floor, through another flat and into my flat. Is it possible the line is picking up interferance somewhere before it gets to my flat?
You opinion would be appreciated, Jack.
James
Grafter

It's quite possible Jack.  If it's BT wiring past your master socket, then it's not your responsibility and BT would be under the onus to fix it.