cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Dropping.

jackoab
Grafter

Connection Dropping.

I'm sorry to come back to the forums again with the same problem but again I don't know where else to go.
On Friday evening I notice repeated reconnections on my router and tried all the usual things, changed filters, router , phone and still the same, on Saturday phoned CS and got a good response from the person that answered after explaining all I had tried and  telling him that it was a repeat problem that happens every two months or so, lasts a few days and goes away of it's own accord, he said he would set the wheels in motion to get the line tested. On Monday I get a reply saying that the line has tested OK and asking me to carry out all the tests on my equipment again, as by this time the fault had corrected itself I replied to this and said that I could't see the sense in any more test and asking to get my SNR Margin reset to 6dB from its present 15dB, as before the problem started my connection had been up for 30 days, the reply i got was that I will have to ait for the exchange to do this as Plusnet don't have the capability (I know this but as before they can request a reset from BT).
I really am getting fed up with this problem which I'm 100% sure is not caused by my equipment and could anyone please suggest a solution as this is about the third time its occured.
I can add that on Saturday and Sunday there was some noise on the line which is unusual and on Sunday I made two phone calls and as the calls connected I watched the router drop connection, I used two different phones to make the calls one DECT and the other corded.
Any help will be gratefully recieved, regards, Jack. (Ticket No. 27583500)
9 REPLIES 9
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

Re: Connection Dropping.

Sounds to me like there was an issue with the Exchange, was there anything reported by BT (not that they report everything, but sometimes the let you know about a fault...sometimes).  The fact that the phone lines were affected leads me to think that it's not an issue with your broadband as much as it is with the lines it's traveling through.  Although there are others on the forum who will have a much more accurate idea of whether or not that may be the case, it is what I would expect to be the problem.
I'm sure someone better able to give you an answer will post shortly Wink
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I can add that on Saturday and Sunday there was some noise on the line which is unusual

Have you noticed noise on the line the previous times you've had this issue?  If so try removing all your broadband equipment and seeing if the noise is still there, if so report it to your phone supplier as a phone fault.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jackoab
Grafter

Hi Chris, This is the first time I've noticed noise on the line and Plusnet are my supplier.
Hi Muppetgrinder, As this has happened several times in the past I don't think it's an exchange problem.
Thank you both for your input, Jack.
samuria
Grafter

You need to collect evidence of the problem to say it happened on Saturday doesnt help track anything down. You need the date and time and the weather and how long the problem lasted and keep it. In our area we had a similar problem and when BT were presented with the times dates and weather they quickly found that the green box was filling with water after heavy rain and they then soon fixed it.
Having got the information does anything strike you that may happen in your house or next door like any electrical equipment used even things like a car jet wash or a security light could effect it. As I all ways suggest get a small medium wave radio and tune it off the station so there is nothing and then walk around the house and you should here any noise and may be able to identify were it comes from, try outside as well near the line coming in.
jackoab
Grafter

Hi Samuria,  I've been as accurate as I can in saying it started on Friday and lasted until Sunday afternoon, as it reconnects immediately unless I'm downloading I often don't know it's dropped. I have investigated everything I can think of but as it's very infrequent (approx. every 2 months) it's difficult to trace.
My main problem at the moment is to get my SNR Margin reset which CS have said I'll have to wait for it to reset automatically, which has never happened in the past, my SRN Margin has gone from 6dB to 15.dB and my IP Profile from 7000 to 3,500 kbps and I know that as in the past they can request a SNR Margin reset from BT.
One other point is that my attenuation is 36 and I'm less than 1K. from the exchange to me points to a problem on the line.
Thanks for your input, Jack.
James
Grafter

Hi Jack,
If you're experiencing noise on your telephone line, can you please raise it to us as a voice line fault and we'll be able to investigate that.
Chances are that it's causing your intermittency.
jackoab
Grafter

Hi James , The noise on my line was only on Saturday and Sunday as soon as the noise stopped my connection stabalised, do you think BT could find the problem if they looked?. Another problem is that the last time I had a problem with my phone line (pre B/B) they needed a cherrypicker to get to the point the line enters the building which I imagine they would need again.
As mentioned before if I could get a fast reset of my SRN Margin it would help a lot as before it has never reset automatically, the last time this happened, if you recollect Plusnet got my SRN Margin reset in 48 hours, thanks for your input, Jack.
James
Grafter

Hi Jack,
If you need your SNR margin changing, please raise a ticket with the support team.  I would normally do it myself, but I'm totally ramped with meetings and other stuff I need to get sorted.
Regarding the noise on the line, please keep an eye on things and if it reoccurs, please get in touch with our Home Phone faults team.
jackoab
Grafter

Hi James, As mentioned previously a ticket has been raised and the reply was to wait for it to happen automatically (Ticket No. 27583500) if you could give this a kick I would be very grateful, Jack.