Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting two ADSL modems

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Connecting two ADSL modems

Simple question.  What would happen if I were to connect a standard BT Voyager 105 modem at the same time as a separate wireless modem/ router to my ADSL line ?  In other words, I want to use the wifi router most of the time but for VOIP useage, I would prefer to use a hard-wired connection without having to climb under the desk to try to find the wifi modem / router.  It would be so much simpler just to have a second hard-wired modem available for the occasional use already plugged into another BT telephone socket which I could then connect with an ethernet cable to my laptop.
I don't want to go into all the why's and wherefore's - I know I could leave an ethernet cable connected to the router but it is in the wrong room for my purposes.  So I just want to use the Voyager 105 from time to time as a direct connection in another room.
Would the two modems fight with one another for priority and would I keep having to turn off the wifi router / modem before using the Voyager 105 ?  It would make life so much easier if I could just use two modems together.
I could try it and see of course, but it means installing the modem and then if it does not work, uninstalling it and I hate to upset my system unncessarily !
Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
paulby
Grafter

Re: Connecting two ADSL modems

You can only connect one ADSL modem at a time to an ADSL line.
You'd have to switch off whichever one you weren't using at the time.
James
Grafter

Having both connected simultaneously will probably also mess around with your sync speeds, so generally a bad idea Smiley
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

What about using powerline ethernet adapters would enable you to plug in your other room without running masses of extra cable.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Thanks chaps, that's the answer I feared !
I have been thinking of Home Plugs as siggested but they are expensive and the spare modem I have seemed like a cheap solution.  But I guess the only answer is Home Plugs.
Denzil
Grafter

You might be able to configure your wireless router as an access point, in which case it just behaves like a network hub. The instruction manual should tell you if/how to do it.Your wired router would plug in to the phone socket,then you run a network cable from it to the wireless router.
If it won't do that, you could just buy a wireless access point which will achieve the same thing.