cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting my Mac (OS X 4.11) to my new PlusNet account.

micox

Connecting my Mac (OS X 4.11) to my new PlusNet account.

Undecided Not as simple as it sounds!
I have an old caravan as an office about 60 yards down the bottom of the garden where the fairies are. Living in the caravan is my trusty Mac. For years I've used a direct broadband connection down there but when I got myself a laptop last year I decided to get a wireless connection. That worked OK from the caravan with the help of a Hercules extender. But when I also decided a wireless printer for use with both computers would be a good idea the signal wasn't strong enough.
My solution was (at the same time as getting a new ISP because when I contacted Tiscali for help, I was told in no uncertain terms that the problem lay in my use of a Mac and I should get Windows!) to locate the Thompson router at the house. doing that has meant the laptop and the printer work beautifully but the signal won't reach the Mac.
So solution was to get another simple router for the Mac and link it up separately. So I bought a seriously discounted router from Amazon - an American job called a TRENDnet 54Mbps Wireless G ADSL Firewall Modem Router. Problems are:
1. I can't get PlusNet - I can get as far as the router setup wizard but it won't detect my PlusNet account automatically and when I go to 'configure manually' it asks for IP and DNS addresses. I can't find these anywhere on the PlusNet setup instructions. 
2. I can only get a steady dsl connection on the TRENDnet if I disconnect the Thompson router.
Can anyone please help?
p.s. I've talked to the fairies and they tell me (I believe honestly) that they haven't been to any mischief.
Heddwch.
Mike.
2 REPLIES 2
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Connecting my Mac (OS X 4.11) to my new PlusNet account.

Easy part first - you can't have two routers connecting to ADSL at the same time on the same line
Less easy part - if the caravan is on the same mains electric as the house then HomePlug may solve the problem
If your problem is just getting the network connection to the caravan as I have assumed I will move the thread to a more suitable board
micox

Re: Connecting my Mac (OS X 4.11) to my new PlusNet account.

Thanks.
My ignorance then! The HomePlug solution looks good. Yes, please move it if you think that more appropriate.
I share the enthusiasm for the Jurassic coast.
Heddwch.
Mike.