Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting laptop to TV by cable

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Connecting laptop to TV by cable

I have an old TV.... it is BIG... it is BULKY, and it has VALVES inside, that keep the room nice and warm in winter... It does have red, yellow and white sockets on the front, plays VHS video and DVD discs, from integral players (thats why the missus bought it - to save having so many extra boxes)... and it does have a Freeview box....
Occasionally, I would like to play videos that I have on my laptop on the TV... (just the very odd occasion)... and would like to use the red, yellow and white sockets on the front with a cable from my laptop....
I presume, this would need to be a USB one end with the red, yellow, and white on the other.... ( as I can play video from my stills camera on the tv ).... can anyone suggest a source for this cable....
I have done a google search, but cannot find anything from a number of "cable suppliers"...
17 REPLIES 17
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Connecting laptop to TV by cable

You need something like a vga to composite adaptor not just a cable.
Not necessarily cheap mind you.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

How about this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-S-Video-Cable-Adapter-Laptop/dp/B002NPZTYW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=...
All the USB / Composite devices are video capture types...I have one myself to transfer videos to DVD and that's the wrong way for your application.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Thought it was a bit cheap.
First check with your PC & Video Card manual or manufacturer to make sure that your VGA card has TV-Out function capability through the VGA connector to ensure this cable will work as some old VGA cards do not have this capability

It is purely a cable no "bits" to do the conversion. OK if your cad does TV out.
Strat
Community Veteran

Yep...strike that one Sad
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran

Ok Guys... Went to strats linky and then saw this...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Composite-Converter-S-Video-Adapter-delivery/dp/B004TCXING/ref=pd_cp_ce_2
The laptop is only 2 years old... (Dell Insipron 1545) and it does have a nine pin D socket next to the USB sockets.
so would this do the job?
Strat
Community Veteran

It would appear to from the customer reviews but they are well worth a read before parting with any cash.
shutter
Community Veteran

Looks like the general consensus is that it may be cheap and cheerful, but it does work.... only a couple of people had problems , so may give it a try....
If it don`t work for me, I will just send it back, and get a refund. !..
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Hmm, you are on a sticky wicket on returns there. As they clearly state the requirements on the page.
Does the pc manual mention tv put anywhere?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: shutter
The laptop is only 2 years old... (Dell Insipron 1545) and it does have a nine pin D socket next to the USB sockets.

No, it will have a 15-pin VGA socket. (look again)
Which is what you need.  Wink
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Yep a NINE pin is the old SERIAL connector. for mice & modems etc.
shutter
Community Veteran

Yay !.... Sorry,, didn`t count the holes ! .... it is definitely a 15 pinhole, D socket.....
As for returns.... by the "sale of goods act".... if it doesn`t do what it says on the tin.......plays a big part .

so If I bought something that is "supposed" to work  as described, and it .....
A) doesn`t 
B) only occasionally 
C), needs lots of tweeks which are not permanent.
D) performs so badly that it is virtually unusable..... etc.
then it is "not of merchantable quality"... and therefore a full refund or replacement is the only option open to the SUPPLIER...
If a replacement is equally as bad, or worse, then the full refund comes into play.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

No "What it says on the tin" in this case is that this requires a video card that has TV out - this is clearly stated in the description of the product they are not trying to confuse/obscure the fact that it will do do something it will not.
They MAY accept the return but I don't think the SOG will come into it in this case.
Strat
Community Veteran

It does say it's powered from the USB port but I suspect they mean VGA port (pins 9 and 10).
Mav
Fixes: 515

They MAY accept the return but I don't think the SOG will come into it in this case.

If you purchase on line then the DSR come into play and you have seven days from the day after you receive it to inspect and make sure you are happy with it before rejecting.
You can even send it back if you simply don't like the colour. The only proviso is you may have to pay return postage unless the supplier doesn't make that clear before purchase.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still