cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting a Dell Inspiron to Wireless via a ZyXel P-600 modem

Rourkefamily
Grafter

Connecting a Dell Inspiron to Wireless via a ZyXel P-600 modem

Hi Folks. Staying over with some family and they are trying to connect a Dell laptop wireless.
The Laptop is picking up a strong signal from their Modem - a ZyXel P-600, but the laptop displays a message ' the Settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network'.
The network selected also comes up as WiFi-afa8. When I select properties I have seven security types and two encryption types.
I have asked about the password, but the one quoted appears to not work so I guess I need to start from scratch and maybe reset the password.
Maybe better to delete all the wireless network settings on the laptop and start again?
The laptop is running Vista and the Desktop the modem connects to is running XP
5 REPLIES 5
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Connecting a Dell Inspiron to Wireless via a ZyXel P-600 modem

First things to check are that you have exactly the same security types set on the laptop and the router. Check the password as well - it is case sensitive.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Stupid question time.  Wink
Are you sure the modem/router is wireless, all the 600 models I've seen are NOT.
You could be picking up another network.
What is the exact model number?
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Quote from: Denzil
First things to check are that you have exactly the same security types set on the laptop and the router. Check the password as well - it is case sensitive.

I am in the router admin page but cannot seem to find an option to reset the password. Having had a quick search, only option seems to be restore factory settings.
How do I check the Laptop security settings? Seems to be running Norton 360
Rourkefamily
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
Stupid question time.  Wink
Are you sure the modem/router is wireless, all the 600 models I've seen are NOT.
You could be picking up another network.
What is the exact model number?

Exact model number isP-660HW-T1 v2/. The SSID is matching what is appearing for wireless on the Laptop
Denzil
Grafter

There is a guide to setting up wifi on Vista <a href="http://www.vista4beginners.com/How-to-setup-a-wireless-connection">here</a>. Look on the third screenshot where it says "Security Type" and "Encryption Type". Compare these with what the router admin page says and make sure you choose exactly the same options on the laptop
Quote from: Rourkefamily
Seems to be running Norton 360

This could also be a strong clue as to what might be wrong Roll_eyes Cheesy If you are sure the settings are correct, and it still won't connect, then turn Norton off and try again. If it works then it is Norton which is stopping the connection, and you will have to go into its firewall settings to fix it. Sorry, I can't help with that - wouldn't touch Norton with two bargepoles tied together, on the end of another bargepole.