cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting a Canon MP620 to the Thompson 585v7 router?

stephentrew

Connecting a Canon MP620 to the Thompson 585v7 router?

Hi all,
I bought a Canon MP620 printer that allows wifi printing.  It connects using WPS push button and pin methods. 
The Thompson 585v7 has a WPS button on the front. (I was sent the router by plus.net in Sept 2008) The manual on the Thompson website describes it as a "WPS button that allows you to add new wireless clients to your network"
So setup should be easy - push the WPS button on the router, and set the printer to find the network. But it does not work.
Is it a firmware issue?  Or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks for any help,
Stephen
8 REPLIES 8
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Connecting a Canon MP620 to the Thompson 585v7 router?

How does your printer connect if your router hasn't got a fancy button it?
Follow the instructions for this eventuality Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pierre_pierre
Grafter

I dont believe that the Thompson router has a WPS button, the one on the front we have been told is to turn off the router in a later level of machine, it is or wasnt active on the one I got, ther is no mention of it in the Guide I have, Got a PDF of the large manual, will have a look.
Another problem is that the WiFi on the router is set to WPA security, how do you set up the printer to that?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Just had a quick look at the manual ( goodness its awful!! ). Looks like there is some form of setup program you use with the printer either connected via USB or wired LAN. That will allow you to scan for access points and enter the encryption method e.g WPA and passkey.
Try the 'network setup troubleshooting' guide here http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=116&modelid=17406#Download...
Note that the manuals for Canon stuff dont seem to be downloadble from the UK site I've always had to go to the US site.
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

your info appears to be nearly correct found this in the full manual
Registering clients via the association button

Proceed as follows to register new wireless network clients via the association button:
1 Push the Association button on the SpeedTouch™front panel for at least two seconds.
The WLAN LED toggles between green and red.
The ACL will be unlocked for a time frame of one minute. Any new wireless client successfully attempting to connect to the SpeedTouch™ (having the correct wireless settings, that is the network name and, if required, the network key) within the time frame of one minute, will be added to the table. The SpeedTouch™ automatically saves your current configuration at the end of the registration phase.

Some WLAN clients do not automatically join a WLAN. If so, follow the instructions for the WLAN client software to initiate the association.
2 Successfully registered stations are associated to the SpeedTouch™ WLAN. Depending on your WLAN client adapter, a wireless icon may become green or a message similar to the following may appear: “Successfully joined Wireless network SpeedTouch123456”.
3 The wireless clients will be added to the SpeedTouch™ ACL.
4 After one minute the ACL is locked.

The registration procedure can be repeated as often as needed.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just tried it on my 6 month old Thompson and no red light
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

The ACL will be unlocked for a time frame of one minute.

Presumambly that procedure is only needed if you have an ACl ( Access control list / MAC address filtering ? ) setup on the Speedtouch.
You still have to put the correct network name and key into the client.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

have you got WDS enabled on this page http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/_wds_/cfg/?be=0&l0=3&l1=1
just enabled mine, still no red light Sad  Software Release: 7.4.4.7
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

On my older model a V6, the button worked in tandem with the tick to only allow registered 'puters to connect and if you pressed it the wifi led would flash allowing a client to connect, sorry cant remember what the box was called as I am now using a non wifi router.