Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Inspiron 6400 laptop to wireless internet

Interested
Grafter

Connecting Inspiron 6400 laptop to wireless internet

Hi!
Can anyone help with step by step instructions to connect to internet by wireless router bt voyager 2110
Have got as far as
http://192.168.1.1/
Configuration
Wireless
Enter username/password and then have enabled wireless by pressing apply.
Then i'm stuck

Cheers greatly in advance.
21 REPLIES 21
Interested
Grafter

Re: Connecting Inspiron 6400 laptop to wireless internet

I was after trying to use my laptop on wireless internet just so I can learn a) before I take my laptop down south on my hols & try connecting in holiday home b) As I'll be starting uni in September
Am running Windows Vista Basic.
Any help, please.
scootie
Grafter

on the insprion laptop make sure the wireless card is switched on. On my my sisters dell studio laptop its on left hand side and is a flip switch.
Then on vista right click the two comptuers icon in the right hand task bar and select connect to network.
You should now have list of wireless networks in your area select the one with your routers wireless ssid (the name you gave or the default name of your wireless network)and then it will ask for the password you set up.
if the changes you made to the wireless setings didnt get saved then if you look under the router the default details to use are normally printed on there
Interested
Grafter

Well I dug out my old laptop with the keys & mousepad damaged & missing and successfull connected up to the router and internet.
However on the dell pressed in a switch & it pushed out an empty card carrier.
So guess I now need to either get the damaged laptop fixed or go out & buy a Wireless Card or usb wireless dongle is that correct?
Thanks for your previous reply.
Interested
Grafter

Sorry for bumping this post folks, but if anyone could just clarify my last question please I'd be greatful. Cheers all.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

from the web specs your machine has the WiFi card installed, its normaly under a cover on the base of the machine.
have you ensured that you have the wireless switched on? dont know where it is on your machine
on this (not a dell) its Fn and the F2 key, on some it a switch on the case, or it could be that you have the machine enabled as work off line
Interested
Grafter

Fn key is in blue and the F2 key has a small blue wireless symbol so that would look correct.
However unlike when I connect with on the push button on the other laptop the wifi light does not light up.
I'm presuming pressing the Fn key should enable the blue symbols on the keyboard whilst in any browser or prohramme but it doesn't seem to.
I do have all the re-installation disk that came with the laptop but when I inserted one it was asking about GB for each section before windows was installed. I would be willing to give anything a go but guessing this is a big task.
I removed a media direct programme previously which cannot be re-installed without unistalling windows a some time back aiming to speed up the laptop, though this was with limited success.
Thanks for your response pierre_pierre.
Denzil
Grafter

The Fn key works like the shift key, so to use a key with blue text, press and hold the Fn key and press the other key, so (just to make it obvious) press Fn, then press F2, then release F2, then release Fn.
A media direct programme, what programme exactly? "Cannot be re-installed without unistalling windows" - sounds weird, but can't imagine how it would affect Wifi.
I think the installation disk is asking you about disk partitioning. It isn't that hard, but hopefully you shouldn't have to do any Windows reinstallation anyway. One more thinkng to check is that the Wifi card has the driver installed. Right click on My Computer, and click Properties. Click the Hardware tab, then click Device Manager. It will show you a list of bits of hardware in your pC. If there are any entries with a yellow exclamation mark next to them it means the driver is missing. Might be best to post back if you find anything like that, and we can give you more instructions.
Interested
Grafter

I think these forums are great. Cheers Denzil.
Re: Media Direct it came pre-installed on Insipiron 6400 I even have push button DVD player style buttons specifically for that programme. It was rather large in MB size and as it said for Region 1 DVDs I unistalled it.  It took me a while to install some other programmes to even get the CD-Rom drive to read/save but I eventually fixed that issue. Yes I think it does ask me to give a memory amount for disc partitioning. I was tempted to guess at this, but decided I'd seriously upset other household members if the Dell no longer worked!
I am also having issues where my battery is dying without warning it has been on Balanced battery option, guessing this is unrelated and just age-related.
Back to wi-fi issue still not sorted
I managed to mute sound then unmute sound with the Fn + End key. Also managed to Scroll lock unlock Scroll. (To think I took fo granted ctrl break when I was busy using my parent's bbc computer playing floppy disc games aged 9! lol)
All looks good in Device Manager with modem details with programmes. No exclamation marks.
Though what is the fjitsu ATA disk device doing on my dell laptop under disc drivers???
Interested
Grafter

Been advised to try a usb keyboard in case the F2 key does not work properly. Otherwise guess I'd best purchase a usb dongle.
Hey ho!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

No, you DO NOT need to purchase a USB dongle, your machine has built-in wireless.  If you want to spend some money, pay someone to get your wireless going for you  (and fix the problems you report on other threads).
Apart from the function key, most laptops have a switch on the side of the case that turns the wireless off or on.  Look in Device Manager under Network Adaptors.  Is a wireless network adaptor shown?  If not, it is switched off!
Interested
Grafter

Actually called in a local IT Consultant who spent an hour at the end of his day attempting to solve the issue.He left without charge unable to resolve.
Under Network adapters it says DELL Wireless 1390 WLAN mini-card and Broadcam 440x 10/100 Intergrated Controller.
Interested
Grafter

Just to add that The BT voyager Configuration Manager reports a PING default gateway FAIL.
Tried this again at 6:10pm and it reported PASS on all listed test.
Can anyone asist?
With Thanks.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I wouldnt worry about the ping failing.
As regards the wireless it looks like you do have a wireless card in the laptop.
Under Network adapters it says DELL Wireless 1390 WLAN mini-card

Here's the Dell troubleshooting guide for the WLAN card
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/network/wlan/en/UG_EN/trouble.htm
If its necessary to reinstall the drivers and Utilities
The WLAN 1390 Dell drivers and Utility are available from the Dell website here:-
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R174292&SystemID=I...
Hope that helps.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Interested
Grafter

Cheesy
Thank you every so much.
One wi-fi connection up and running. Smiley
Now time to get that new battery.