cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting EPC netbook to Thomson wireless router.

Igglepiggle

Connecting EPC netbook to Thomson wireless router.

Purchased an EPC mini netbbook running Windows CE6 for one of the children for Christmas and am unable to get it to connect to the Thomson wireless router. I managed to get it to connect using ethernet but that defeats the object of it being wireless. A neighbour also purchased several of these for their children and successfully connected them to their wireless network albeit using a different make of router, the netbook in question also successfully connected to their network using their security key so it isn't faulty.
Has anyone any experience of connecting one of these to the router successfully? It has connected a couple of times but then when it is switched off and then used later it doesn't connect. I have gone into the router settings but nothing jumps out as being needed to be changed. An unknown device is also showing as being on the wireless lan and this I assume to be the netbook in question.
I managed to get an Acer netbook to connect relatively easily but this one has me stumped. Any help would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Connecting EPC netbook to Thomson wireless router.

welcome to the forum, which router have is a PN Thompson V8?
it might need updating see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,91200.128.html
Igglepiggle

Thanks for your help. I have the Thomson TG585v7 and have just upgraded the firmware as suggested to 8.2.6.5. Unfortunately I am still unable to connect.  On the "Wireless network Properties" screen encryption is set to TKIP, authentication WPA2-PSK,and the network key has been inserted.
The wireless networking log shows that it is associating with Plusnet wireless and authenticating but goes no further and refuses to connect.
Igglepiggle
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Try changing the encryption to WPA-PSK rather than WPA2 , it may be that the EPC can't support WPA2.
If that doesn't work you may want to try WEP encryption to see if that will work, BUT beware, WEP encryption is MUCH less secure than WPA.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Igglepiggle

Changed encryption as suggested to and still no luck in connecting. Used netbook with ethernet succesfully and it suddenly connected itself to wifi but on turning off the machine it failed to reconnect wirelessly. Think I will have to purchase a new router, at least I know there is one make out there that will allow me to connect wirelessly, unless anyone has any other ideas.
Igglepiggle