cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Canon MX340 to Router

bvan1963

Connecting Canon MX340 to Router

As a newbie to Plusnet, I tried to connect my all in one Canon printer MX340 to the Plusnet router but although the printer can see the router, it times out when trying to connect to it. I have pressed the button on front of the router for at least 5 seconds as the printer instructions suggest but  nothing happens. As far as I can see I have followed the printer instructions correctly to this point. This is my first foray into wi-fi so there is something that I should have done before trying to connect. Can anyone suggest what? My PC is using XP Pro SP3.
7 REPLIES 7
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Connecting Canon MX340 to Router

Plusnet have supplied lots of different routers... what is the make, model and firmware version you are using.
Note: If this is the TG585v7 or v8, the button on the front does nothing.
bvan1963

The router is a Thompson TG585v8 with a do nothing button Angry
As to firmware I am not quite sure where to find this.
bvan1963

Does the do nothing button mean I cannot connect  my printer to the router?  I wish to be able to print from two PCs.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

not familiar with Canon printers but on my HP WiFi was set up using a menu option on the printer fascia.
Set up WiFi, select the Thomson router from the menu, it will ask you for your password, use the password given on the bottom of the router or the loose label in your welcome pack.
Then install the printer as normal from the windows options.
Is this what you did
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
bvan1963

Thanks for your continued interest. What you suggest is what I did try to do but the printer seemed to stop at the fourth digit. Maybe I will have to contact Canon, as I can't see a reference in the 107 page (!) manual.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Looking at the Canon web site it would appear that they recommend installing the printer by temporarily connecting it via USB to a computer.
http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/System/Search.aspx?TcmUri=tcm:14-715288
This allows the printer driver software to be installed and also to configure the wireless security settings into the printer.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Check this thread about my HP installation  Roll_eyes
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,97090.msg825889.html#msg825889
I have had my HP c309a working on Wifi Ethernet and USB
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra