Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conflict between Home Hub and Thompson Gateway routers

FIXED
shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Conflict between Home Hub and Thompson Gateway routers

I have recently installed a BT Home Hub successfully.  However, my house is very long with very thick walls - two old cottages.  To obtain WiFi coverage, I have to piggy-back a second WiFi router using an Ethernet network between the two routers.  It has worked successfully for years.  All other system like TP Links etc. just do not give satisfactory coverage.

However, I have hit a problem with the BT Home Hub, because it uses the same http://192.168.1.254 address as the Thompson Gateway.  My previous Linksys router used http://192.168.1.1.  There is therefore a conflict between the two routers, I suspect because the system does not work.  I have tried to ensure that DCHP is turned off on the Thompson Gateway router.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Conflict between Home Hub and Thompson Gateway routers

Unless your Thomson gateway is very very primitive it should be possible to change its base IP address.  Give a computer a temporary fixed IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.20) then connect it directly to the Thomson and change its base IP.  I had to do this a few months ago and because the Thomson router I was dealing with was pretty primitive I had to create a file of the settings, edit the file and then read it back.  This procedure was described somewhere on these forums.  Any new IP address on the range 1 to 63 should be okay.   

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Its very easy to change the IP addresses on the Home Hub, just go to Advanced Options - Home Network - IP Addresses, and chose the 172 range, or you can choose your own range, however don't forget to leave the first 64 for BT's internal stuff (WiFi).

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

The first 63/64 IP addresses are just left vacant for use by static IPs.  AFAIK it's nothing to do with "BT's internal stuff".

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Yep, nothing to do with BT's internal stuff.

My Thomson/Technicolour routers when I was with O2 then Sky, and now my Plusnet Hub One, all use the same IP ranges and my PC has had the same static IP of 192.168.1.63 all along!

shermans
Pro

Thanks.  I have tried it on the Thompson and it is indeed easy.

However, what IP address can I use for the Thompson ?  My old Linksys was 192.168.1.1 which is therefore easy to remember, but would that be compatible with the Hme Hub in view of the first 64 discussion above ?  The Thompson is the slave router, nit the master which is the BT Home Hub.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

192.168.1.1 would work fine.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I suggest you use 192.168.1.20.  That should work perfectly with a BT Home Hub but is large enough to be unlikely to clash if you switch to another router.  Whatever you choose, make a label and stick it on the Thomson router for future reference.

Any address in the range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.63 is extra-compatible with a Home Hub.

shermans
Pro

Fix

Thanks to everyone for their various suggestions and comments which have fully resolved the problem.  Everything is working tickety-boo !