cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer won't detect Wireless Usb adapter

MyNameIsRay
Grafter
Posts: 45
Registered: 11-11-2009

Computer won't detect Wireless Usb adapter

My computer worked fine with a wireless belkin adapter for a long long time.
Then 3 days ago it just stopped being recognized by my computer and the light on the adapter wasn't lighting up.
My computer is windows 7 32 bit btw~
I assumed the adapter had died and bought a new one but the new adapter couldn't be recognized either...
I tried all usb ports but that wasn't the problem either.
When I insert the adapter I get messages such as "device has malfunctioned" "device not working" "device not recognized"...
In the device manager it shows unknown device in usb storage...
I tried downloading the latest driver from the manufacturer's website but that didn't help.
I decided to try the new adapter on my brothers computer (windows 7 64 bit) and it worked fine...
because I didn't know what to do to fix it, I tried system restore but it didn't help. I then reformatted my hard drive and put a fresh w7 on but it still wouldn't recognize the adapter.
I then installed windows xp and still nothing...
What can I do?
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Posts: 38,460
Thanks: 1,027
Fixes: 62
Registered: 15-06-2007

Re: Computer won't detect Wireless Usb adapter

do other usb devices work
MyNameIsRay
Grafter
Posts: 45
Registered: 11-11-2009

Re: Computer won't detect Wireless Usb adapter

The mouse and keyboard work in all usb ports
jim:quote
Community Veteran
Posts: 38,460
Thanks: 1,027
Fixes: 62
Registered: 15-06-2007

Re: Computer won't detect Wireless Usb adapter

I should have asked if other usb devices work other than mouse and keyboard
MyNameIsRay
Grafter
Posts: 45
Registered: 11-11-2009

Re: Computer won't detect Wireless Usb adapter

No, my usb storage device won't work either.
Community Veteran
Posts: 38,460
Thanks: 1,027
Fixes: 62
Registered: 15-06-2007

Re: Computer won't detect Wireless Usb adapter

Have you gone into Device Manager and see if anything is adrift
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,094
Thanks: 454
Fixes: 17
Registered: 10-06-2010

Re: Computer won't detect Wireless Usb adapter

Quote from: MyNameIsRay
No, my usb storage device won't work either.

What kind of usb storage device is it? Does it have its own mains power supply, or is it powered via the usb port?
MyNameIsRay
Grafter
Posts: 45
Registered: 11-11-2009

Re: Computer won't detect Wireless Usb adapter

@^ powered via usb port
Quote from: Oldjim
Have you gone into Device Manager and see if anything is adrift

Community Veteran
Posts: 5,472
Thanks: 292
Fixes: 4
Registered: 11-08-2007

Re: Computer won't detect Wireless Usb adapter

Community Veteran
Posts: 5,472
Thanks: 292
Fixes: 4
Registered: 11-08-2007

Re: Computer won't detect Wireless Usb adapter

It might be worth going into the BIOS and doing "Load default settings" in case the USB or interrupt configuration has been corrupted.
If that fixes it, then it is probably worth replacing the BIOS battery, usually a CR2032 button cell.
Community Veteran
Posts: 38,460
Thanks: 1,027
Fixes: 62
Registered: 15-06-2007

Re: Computer won't detect Wireless Usb adapter

This is what you should see
MyNameIsRay
Grafter
Posts: 45
Registered: 11-11-2009

Re: Computer won't detect Wireless Usb adapter

@^
Quote from: purleigh
It might be worth going into the BIOS and doing "Load default settings" in case the USB or interrupt configuration has been corrupted.
If that fixes it, then it is probably worth replacing the BIOS battery, usually a CR2032 button cell.

Nothing changed after loading default bios settings
Quote from: purleigh
Have a look through "How to troubleshoot unknown devices that are listed in Device Manager in Windows XP"

I tried to update those drivers but it is hard to find the right ones. This is the computer:
http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/acer/aspirem1610/aspirem1610sp2.shtml
I found the realtek audio drivers easily but the others are hard to find:

But is that not unrelated to my usb problem?
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,094
Thanks: 454
Fixes: 17
Registered: 10-06-2010

Re: Computer won't detect Wireless Usb adapter

The device "SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller" must be the USB 2.0 controller on the motherboard, device manager doesn't show any problem with it.
Do you have a powered USB hub you could connect things through? I'm thinking the problem could be that the usb sockets are no longer providing sufficient power for the wireless adapter (which uses more power than a keyboard or mouse).
MyNameIsRay
Grafter
Posts: 45
Registered: 11-11-2009

Re: Computer won't detect Wireless Usb adapter

Quote from: ejs
The device "SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller" must be the USB 2.0 controller on the motherboard, device manager doesn't show any problem with it.
Do you have a powered USB hub you could connect things through? I'm thinking the problem could be that the usb sockets are no longer providing sufficient power for the wireless adapter (which uses more power than a keyboard or mouse).

I don't have a powered USB hub. But if that is the case would I need a new power supply or what?
I have an unused computer with a stronger power supply I could try
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,094
Thanks: 454
Fixes: 17
Registered: 10-06-2010

Re: Computer won't detect Wireless Usb adapter

Quote from: MyNameIsRay
I don't have a powered USB hub. But if that is the case would I need a new power supply or what?
I have an unused computer with a stronger power supply I could try

Yes a better power supply may solve the problem. I just read the specs on the acer link you gave - 250W is rather low.