Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer switches itself off

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Computer switches itself off

Possibly a short but more likely to be the current drawn from the PSU was a bit too high and possibly started to burn.
Glad to hear that the new PSU is making a difference so far
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
iainmacmillan
Grafter

might also want to invest in a good Zalman heatsink and fan.  My Athlon run at between 28 (idle) and 38deg (flat out Battlefield 2142 mayhem).  Some good thermal paste too.
Best supplier i know is Microdirect (http://www.microdirect.co.uk)
it's a good idea to strip and clean your system at least once per year, or when you do upgrades, like Video, Sound, HDD or memory.
weejohn

My desktop too started falling over after a new motherboard and extra ram was added. A black screen suddenly appeared and everything had gone! After a restart all was well... till the next time No warning, just OFF. It didn't appear to be a memory thing, it turned itself off even five minutes after start up. After a lot of head scratching, replacing memory, trying other boards, clearing dust etc, I found the reason. It's called Service Pack 2! Something in that pack clashed with my new build causing the crashes. I took it off and the machine has been perfect since. Worth a try.
God
Grafter

Hello Weejohn
I dont know how much or little you know about PC's so forgive me for asking this question.
When you changed motherboards did you reinstall windows? Have you changed motherboards and then loaded SP2 on top?