Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer shutdown

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Computer shutdown

If a computer has been shut down (ie. you have logged off) but is still plugged in, what is still getting power ?
Is it the transformer & if so what power is still being used by the computer ?
My reason for asking is that my router, printer, scanner, etc are all plugged into an extension lead at the back of the computer desk which is almost impossible to get at, so if the router is left on (as recommended) then everything else is left on as well.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
11 REPLIES 11
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Computer shutdown

The PSU will provide a small amount of power to components that can wake up the computer, which could include the keyboard, USB ports, LAN (for wake on LAN) etc.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why don't you buy an IntelliPanel ?
These intelligent mains extension sockets will switch off your peripherals when your PC is shutdown, and reapply power when the PC is started again.
I have around 8 or 9 of these devices on my PCs for controlling peripherals, and on my TVs for powering down PS2, XBOX, Freeview receivers, DVD players, VCR, and DLNA video streamer.
There are various models to suit different applications as you can find here, and I usually pick mine up for about £4 to £6 new on eBay.
The simplest option would be to plug your existing extension cable into an IntelliPlug.  You can often get these FREE from your electricity supplier, or about £3 (to cover postage) elsewhere (or on eBay).
ejs
Aspiring Hero

And is the intellipanel / intelliplug intelligent enough to leave the router switched on?
The computer's power supply should have a proper off switch at the back, although that probably isn't much help.
hulls
Grafter

Quote from: ejs
And is the intellipanel / intelliplug intelligent enough to leave the router switched on?
The computer's power supply should have a proper off switch at the back, although that probably isn't much help.

Yes - the ones I've seen usually have a combination of sockets that turn off and others that are linked to the computer.  Smiley
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks for that it was very useful.
I Guess I will go for a couple of the plugs as my understanding of the panel is that the computer plugs into a specific socket on the panel so when you close down everything else attached to the panel closes as well so I am not sure how it would still allow the router to continue to function. 
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: gleneagles
If a computer has been shut down (ie. you have logged off) but is still plugged in, what is still getting power ?

In my experience a marginal internal battery will discharge if the computer is unplugged but may not if the computer is still plugged in.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Quote from: purleigh
Why don't you buy an IntelliPanel ?
These intelligent mains extension sockets will switch off your peripherals when your PC is shutdown, and reapply power when the PC is started again.
I have around 8 or 9 of these devices on my PCs for controlling peripherals, and on my TVs for powering down PS2, XBOX, Freeview receivers, DVD players, VCR, and DLNA video streamer.
There are various models to suit different applications as you can find here, and I usually pick mine up for about £4 to £6 new on eBay.
The simplest option would be to plug your existing extension cable into an IntelliPlug.  You can often get these FREE from your electricity supplier, or about £3 (to cover postage) elsewhere (or on eBay).

Looking at some of the feedback on e-bay & Amazon about intelliplugs it seems that a number of people have found they fail within a short space of time. As they only cost a few pounds that may not matter but my concern is that any electrical item that has a high failure rate may also be a potential fire hazard although I do admit none of the negative feedback on this item has mentioned a fire risk.
Anonymous
Not applicable

They only cost a few pounds because they have been heavily subsidized by the energy companies, the unsubsidized IntelliPlugs cost £16 to £18.
The other reason they are cheap second hand on eBay, was that at one time the energy companies were giving them away for nothing to encourage customers to be more responsible about switching electrical items off - instead of leaving them on standby.  Consequently rather than using the free IntelliPlugs, many people simply sold them and would rather have the cash.
I have probably bought about 15 various IntelliPlugs/IntelliPanels, none of them have ever given me any cause for concern.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I have two free IntelliPlugs, one from British Gas and one from the local council.
I only use one but it powers down various peripherals such as my printer and speakers when I shut down my PC with no problems.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ejs
Aspiring Hero

I just measured the power consumption (with a plug in electricity usage monitor) of my old desktop PC when "off" - the base unit, no peripherals, uses about 2.5W.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I bet that's the same as an Intelliplug.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."