cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer security

bewoh

Computer security

My computer uses Windows 8.1 and has both Windows Essentials 2012 and McAfee LiveSafe. Do I really need to renew the latter please?.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Computer security

I have always found AV products to be a waste of clock cycles, RAM and space. On my Windows machines I run the built in Windows AV and rely on common sense for the rest. If you are the only user then IMO I'd dump it and save your money and everything else that goes with the removal assuming you feel confident you can run without it. If the PC is shared then you would have to weigh up the risk factor the other users pose to the machine, if in any doubt renew it.
bewoh

Hello Mook. You've confirmed my thoughts, and as a ''simple'' old age pensioner who is the only user, whose never entered twitter, facebook and other younger persons sites I'll get rid of McAfee when it runs out. Many thanks bewoh
Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad I could help. You may find this : https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview useful.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Make sure you have not unwittingly (or wittingly) signed-up to automatic renewal by credit card.  Otherwise you will get charged for a McAfee renewal whether or not you use it.   
bewoh

ReedRichards..........many thanks...........I'll now do a check!!!..bewoh
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReedRichards Well reminded.  Smiley