cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer none starter

weatherman
Grafter

Computer none starter

after the thunderstorm we had last week  and despite having a quality spike protector my computer will not start I am getting either NTLDR is missing or \windows\system32\config\system is corrupt or missing.
in the past I have always managed to recover from problems such as this but this time it is more difficult, I have tried using the original CD & the R option on the menu but this doesn't work I have a disaster rescue disk set I made last year but startup does not recognise it (yes I have changed the boot sequence) I am running XP prof any help out there.
I have also post another message on the subject of a new computer specification
13 REPLIES 13
community
Grafter

Re: Computer none starter

Your mention of having used the R option which didn't work for you, reminds me of the numerous times I used to try this R option without success...until I find that the option comes up TWICE and that  it is better to tick the re-install option first, then a second offer of a repair comes up.This then goes through a genuine repair without having to re-install everything from scratch and it re-installs your present folders and files.
This is how it works for me anyway. I have XP Home.
cheers
Eddie Johnson
samuria
Grafter

Start from xp cd and then recovery consul and try chkdsk c: /F The missing file is normally a disk problem. you can check if the file is there by doing c: press return then type attrib and it should show it.
You can try coping the file from another pc or from the cd if its has the same service pack on. So if you have put sp3 on the pc you need thee file from a sp3 cd
weatherman
Grafter

I have tried that and it didn't work just get "The parameter is not valid" message
if I cannot resolve this problem how easy is it to get at the data on my C drive to recover it, it is striped raid drive
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You could use a Linux "Live distribution" which runs entirely from CD, to view/repair/copy your files.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

samuria
Grafter

You didnt mention its a raid. What is the raid is it a card or part of the MB? when you installed windows did you have to install any raid drivers during xp loading by pressing F6?
What functions are there on the raid can you rebuild the drive swap it etc. The idea of raid is you can rebuild the disk or use the second disk when you have problems
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: weatherman
despite having a quality spike protector my computer will not start

Thats because surge/spike protectors are not designed to protect from Lightening storms - despite what most people beleive. They are surge protectors - NOT storm protectors.
Mains electricity does have spikes and surges all the time - which is why occassionally your lights will flicker slightly. This can be caused by almost anything - someone turning on a heavy duty appliance for example. Thats where the surge protector kicks in. When your lights flicker the surge protector is designed to protect your computer from THOSE sort of electrical surges and spikes in the power line.
They can not however protect from a lightening storm which has the energy of several million joules. Most surge protectors only offer protection up to something like 10,000 joules. Sure it sounds like a lot but its nothing compared to what mother nature can send down the power line to your house. There is a reason why aircraft shells have to be so vigorously tested with huge machines that can generate millions of volts Wink That little plastic box with 4/5/6 sockets on it and a glowing NEON is no match for millions of joules.
Follow the old fashioned advice next time there is a storm - unplug it all including your router or modem from the phone line. Unplug the TV and remember to unplug the aerial too. Its what I've done for years and unlike the rest of my family I've not had anything fried.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Actually, isn't all that advice a bit dated now that we all live in cities?
The primary route for a damaging lightening strike is via the mains cables - but these are always buried underground (at least in this country).
So unless the local substation gets blasted, I feel pretty safe.  Smiley
I've never unplugged anything in stormy weather - and I've never been hit (yet)!
The situation is quite different in rural locations though.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7up
Community Veteran

Not really because even cities have some over head powerlines in places. Even if you have underground power cables and sub stations the sub station CAN still be hit and deliver the energy down the power line. Many of todays modern buildings have various other protection systems in place but you should never rely on these to protect you 100%. I noticed you used the word 'yet' Wink
I've always unplugged my stuff. My GF's bro borrowed 2 of our PCs and both came back FRIED. No idea why but having seen the standard of the wiring in his flat I suspect they caused a massive electrical problem of some sort which fried both computers.
Oh one other thing... we don't ALL live in cities as you put it! Some are in towns and some even in villages!
weatherman
Grafter

Shocked Shocked next time I will unplug or get a UPS
Rich
Grafter

I used to work for a company that had an underground network cable between two warehouses.  This ran below a metal fence that was struck by lightening one night - I think we were lucky, it fried a network hub at one end and the ISA network card in the computer at the other end of the cable!
Just 'cos it's underground, you can't assume it's safe!
Rich
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: okrzynska
Oh one other thing... we don't ALL live in cities as you put it! Some are in towns and some even in villages!

. . . and some of us live in villages on top of hills!   Shocked
A sheet-lightning fried a dial up modem and my power supply.   Sad
Thankfully the CRT monitor survived.  The wife said that she saw a flash coming out of the monitor and of course the smoke of the burnt components.
PCWorld wanted £45 just to open the box, so I decided to open it myself.  A transient capacitor that cost me £0.06 from Maplins and a fuse restored the power supply for another eight years.  I had to buy another PCI modem.  That taught me to pull the plug and run away!   Wink
Back on topic now:
With a RAID 0 your disks are striped, which means that data are scattered across the lot of them.  You lose one you lose them all.   Sad
With RAID 1, your data is mirrored and you can carry on if one disk is damaged.  That's what Samuria had in mind.
With RAID 5 your data is striped across the disks, but with the use of parity you can recover from the loss of one disk.
A Linux LiveCD should allow you to recover your data - assuming that you have RAID 1 or RAID 5.  Also, BartsPE LiveCD built with the correct drivers for your array would probably do the job.
Before you go trying any of the above, I would probably boot a WinXP Installation CD and run the fixmbr command from a recovery console.  Hope this helps.
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: weatherman
Shocked Shocked next time I will unplug or get a UPS

A UPS won't protect you. You still need to unplug even if you use a UPS.
weatherman
Grafter

every thing is ok at present, had the box checked and the comment was it could do with a bios upgrade but then I would lose my striped array, also it could be the M/B on its way out