cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer freezes when trying to view youtube etc videos

jmd
Grafter

Computer freezes when trying to view youtube etc videos

My Dell Laptop has suddenly decided it will freeze everytime I try to view a video on youtube [or vimeo]. I use Windows 7 [64 bit] with Firefox as browser.  I have to use Task Manager to get out of the freeze.
Can anyone help?
7 REPLIES 7
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Computer freezes when trying to view youtube etc videos

It may be a Flash Player problem.  Try uninstalling it then downloading and installing the latest version (11).  Also check that you have the current version of Firefox (7).
Mav
Fixes: 515

I've noticed that, for some unknown reason, Flash Player 11 is screwing some streaming with FF and Chrome. So I have reverted back to 10.3.183.7 on my laptop which is W7 64bit.
You can get previous versions here.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

MrT
Grafter

Very interesting!! I'm having similar problems.
I've just checked Control Panel and discovered I have 2 Flash Players installed:
Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin v 10.1.85.3
and
Adobe Flash Player 11 ActiveX v11.0.1.152
Now if you select Support Information > Product Update for the Plugin it takes you to the download for 11.0.1.152.
I think I'll remove both of the above and then reinstall the latest version (11.0.1.152)  Smiley
Edit1:
Just done that with a reboot inbetween removal and install.
IE8 on my Dell Laptop with XP Home SP3 seems to run much faster. Time will tell!
Edit2:
Unfortunately, that hasn't solved the problem. It's happened again with Task Manager being the only exit.  Sad
Ellis
Grafter

You haven't said what processor is in use.
I have three laptops, the oldest one (with Windows XP) I would not even think of using for video.
The second oldest is an Acer 5101 with AMD Turion 64 running Ubuntu/Linux v10.04 LTS, it will handle ordinary video but not HD video.
The newest one is an Acer 5742 with an Intel i3 370m processor running Ubuntu/Linux v10.10, it will handle HD video with no problems.
On the AMD Turion 64 the problem with HDV is that that CPU cannot handle the size of file (HDV) within the refresh rate required, so causes a temporary freeze.
CX
Grafter

Does it help if you disable Hardware Acceleration in Firefox? (Options, Advanced tab)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

CX23882's answer is what fixed the same problem on my Dell laptop. You can also disable it by right clicking on the flash video and choosing disable Hardware Acceleration again.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jmd
Grafter

Thank you for your suggestions - will try them out the next time it happens because of course since mentioning it - videos have been working!! Roll_eyes