cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer continuously on

bobloes

Computer continuously on

Not sure if this is the correct forum but.....  I have just got on line (used dial up for n years) and now find that my computer does not switch itself to standby (sleep, hibernation, whatever).  I assume this is as a consequence of the modem continuously handshaking with both the computer and the exchange.  Is there a solution other than switching the modem off when not needing it.  If so will this affect its longevity.  It also draws 9 watts which works out at 82KWh per year.  Not a lot cost wise but I am trying to do my bit for the planet.  Other than calling me tight fisted any suggestions.  Cheers.
3 REPLIES 3
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Computer continuously on

by modem, is it one in the computer or a separate item?  It is best to leave it on for the first ten days so that BT can fix the rates for your line.  You can turn your PC off.
It helps if the Modem(Router) is rebooted once a day in the morning about half hour after sunrise during this period.  Advise is what you have and we will tell you how to do this task Smiley Smiley
bobloes

I am talking about the external modem supplied by Plusnet.  In accordance with their advice I am switching it off twice a day (no particular time advised). 
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You probably need to go into the bios and disable "Wake on LAN"