Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Rebuild

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Motherboard Suggestions

Funnily enough Kaspersky is behaving oddly.
Application Management regularly pops up a window advising that app/process xxx is being placed in a particular security group.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Try clicking on hide notification when the window pops up - this should fix it
Strat
Community Veteran

They must have sensed my impatience and have delivered today, 2 days early. Smiley
Why did the foreign sounding delivery person tell me my name in a questioning way and soliciting a confirmation from me?
If I wasn't the intended recipient I would have simply confirmed the name and taken the package anyway.
Shouldn't he have asked me my name to confirm what was on the package address label?
Oh well...time to get building.
As others have said the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heatsink and fan is huge and If I'm going to use it, a bit of case modding will have to be performed. Shocked
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

that's what the dremel is for  Wink
before I got one of those I had really messy tin snip based mods all the time used to take ages to smooth them off with a file (which I invariably failed to do ...)
one thing about the evo212
mounting it can be a problem, I followed online advice about fitting it before putting the mobo into the case and then couldn't screw the board into a couple of the standoffs, so I ended up having to take it off and refit it in the case but getting to the base screws can be problematic ....

whoever designed that thing clearly never tried to fit one to an actual pc .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Oldjim
Resting Legend

some of us bought a case with a removable motherboard tray  Grin
Strat
Community Veteran

On the SATA Express front you might want to read this http://www.anandtech.com/show/7843/testing-sata-express-with-asus/6
It's a year old but little seems to have changed yet to take SATA Express mainstream.
I have a Cooler Master case so you would think a Cooler Master heatsink would fit inside Undecided (I haven't tried it yet)
A removable tray sounds good.
If you don't have enough headroom, take the tray out and bolt the motherboard to the case Smiley Undecided
nanotm
Pro

Depends on how old the case is, my cm storm scout v1 case didn't need any mods to fit the evo in, was the 9 yr old £15 full tower case with flat sides that did  Grin
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I have an Akasa Eclipse 62 which is wide enough to take almost anything and is almost completely dismantleable
Strat
Community Veteran

I've started the process of rebuilding my PC but have committed a cardinal sin and not noted the orientation of the polarity sensitive front panel connectors. Angry
I'm having a break just now Roll_eyes
nanotm
Pro

Re: Computer Rebuild

oO
what kind of connectors do you have ?
most mobo manuals have the pin settings listed so even if your fpc's are individual pin connectors it should be simple enough to sit with the pin diagram in the booklet and a decent light source to read each of the connectors
I found that the fpc header connector block that came with the mobo was of great use, just unplugged from the old mobo and plugged into the new one without having to fiddle with each pin individually (it seems ASUS at least use the exact same pin layout for successive mobo's)
Strat
Community Veteran

The motherboard diagram is clear enough...albeit a bit small.
It's the + and - missing from the plugs that's giving me grief.
At the moment the PC starts and immediately shuts down without so much as a beep.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

The power and reset switches don't care about polarity, the LEDs won't light if connected backwards but shouldn't normally cause a problem otherwise.
Do you definitely have the righr bits connected to the right place?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Strat
Community Veteran

I'm having a food break from it just now but I will check over everything later.
Update: I've made a bit of progress. One of the motherboard power cables was not fully seated and it's now attempting to boot Smiley
Strat
Community Veteran

Rebuilt PC now up and running...quickly  Cool
Thank you all for contributions and encouragement.
The ginormous Heatsink just fitted in.
The position of the ports such as the SATA ports on the motherboard gave access problems when connecting the 4 drives but I've worked under the bonnet of modern cars so I'm used to tight squeezes.
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Quote from: rongtw
Thats a nice Board   Cool Strat
personally i prefer ASUS  Wink

ahh asus i thought you said " i prefer AAA aaa leave it nvm "