Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Rebuild.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Computer Rebuild.

you can always remote system restore to a HDD instead of keeping it on the SSD .......
personally I keep mine on one of the other drives and set it to 60gig limit but I have 3 x 2tb wd black drives for storage and I remote located the entire users directory to one of the HDD's along with steam and origin (one drive for each) that way even if I have to reinstall windows I don't loose the users files or all the game downloads Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Is it possible to partition a SSD?
Failing that, is it possible to map several volumes onto one physical drive like in Linux, using LVM?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes to all those, although you need to ensure optimum partition alignment for optimum speed and flash lifetime.
Google "ssd alignment check" for further reading !  Wink
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: nanotm
you can always remote system restore to a HDD instead of keeping it on the SSD .......

I don't think that is possible (see e.g. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-system/how-to-change-the-system-restore-l... ).  If your OS is on the C: drive (for example) then your restore points are stored in the hidden 'C:\System Volume Information' folder which cannot be relocated.   
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Yes, i dint think you could change system restore folder location  Huh
As for a OS reinstall i dont find it the,,  Worst Case ,, as it rejuvenates my system  Wink but what is a real pain is the Windows updates . Crazy Crazy

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Mav
Fixes: 515

Quote from: rongtw
Disable Disk Indexing  
Turn off Scheduled Defragmentation
Disable Paging Files,, if you have more than 4gig ram
Deactivate Prefetch and Superfetch
i also have  turned off windows search
also i have turned off system restore
& ensure you have got trim enabled  Wink

I'd agree with all that including, as mentioned by someone else, turning of indexing. I have actually turned off indexing for all drives and haven't noticed searches being particularly slower.
Quote from: ReedRichards
also i have turned off system restore

You can make an argument for doing this even with a conventional hard drive but you can save yourself hours of work by using System Restore; a complete Windows re-install is the worst-case alternative.

I've never seen a complete Windows re-install as a worst-case alternative. In fact quite the opposite as it has given me the chance to set things up maybe a little differently than previously as my needs may have changed somewhat. I think I have only used System restore once and it didn't resolve the issue for me anyway. I have never missed it since turning it off when I initially installed W7.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

It's my job to fix computers so I have used System Restore hundreds of times.  It's a quick (and therefore inexpensive) fix for any recent mistake you have made, including catching a computer virus.  In those instances where System Restore has been turned off or cannot complete successfully the time required to achieve a fix is greatly increased.
If I try something and don't like the result I use System Restore to get me back to exactly where I was before.  That prevents me from needing to 'refresh' Windows using a complete reinstall.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@ReedRichards  , yes i agree system restore is a great help in most cases , but personally i prefer my system with it OFF as i do with other unnecessary MS services  Wink
saying that i have used restore to fix other systems i have been asked to fix  Wink

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
PitchBlack
Grafter

Here's a question for someone in the know,  the Samsung magician recommends write cache buffer to be enabled, yet every time I enable it, I get a warning in windows event viewer saying "disk has it's write cache enabled. Data corruption may occur".
Is this just a case of Windows thinking it is a HDD and not a SSD ?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I'm getting the odd BSOD at the moment but I'm putting it down to teething troubles. I'll see how it goes.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

... personally i prefer my system with it OFF as i do with other unnecessary MS services  Wink

The problem is that tweaks and personal preferences which apply equally well to any type of hard drive get conflated with things that you should do specifically for a SSD.  Read any online 'advice' and you will find this. 
I built a computer with a SSD for my other half.  I

• Turned on AHCI in the BIOS before installing Windows (7)

• Checked that the trim function was reported as operational

• Checked/set no scheduled defragmentation

• I think I deactivated Prefetch and Superfetch (I'd have to verify that)

That's it, nothing else, otherwise a completely standard Windows installation with no tweaks.  It's very fast, particularly noticeable when starting-up.  And it has never yet suffered a BSOD. 
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

The BSOD started around the time Service Pack 1 went in.
As an aside I purchased Photoshop Elements 11 a while ago and having lost the installation files I downloaded a fresh copy, one install manager and one 1GB main program archive.
I ran the install manager and it told me the archive was missing....
No it's not....it's right beside you you stupid twat
Anyway I downloaded 7-Zip, extracted the archive and installed from there Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Quote from: PitchBlack
the Samsung magician recommends write cache buffer to be enabled, yet every time I enable it, I get a warning in windows event viewer saying "disk has it's write cache enabled. Data corruption may occur".
Is this just a case of Windows thinking it is a HDD and not a SSD ?

I expect that's nothing to do with having a HDD or SSD. Data corruption may occur because whatever is in the write cache buffer would be lost if there's a power failure, unless you have a UPS (or a laptop with a battery).
Mav
Fixes: 515

@ReedRichards  , yes i agree system restore is a great help in most cases , but personally i prefer my system with it OFF as i do with other unnecessary MS services  Wink
saying that i have used restore to fix other systems i have been asked to fix  Wink

+1

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have system restore running but it is only as a last resort as using it totally screws up Kaspersky because of the self defence mechanism
I actually rely on the Acronis regular weekly backup