cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Rebuild.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Computer Rebuild.

I think you have just been unlucky, or the Postman delivered it to the wrong address.
This year, on separate deliveries, I've bought four new SSDs from Amazon (as they were cheaper than used items on eBay !!!), and they have all arrived after just two to four days. despite choosing the free delivery option that usually involves waiting a week to ten days.
I think that SSDs arrive quickly because they are small and are sent by standard letter sized post, so don't get delayed in parcel sorting offices or going via damn couriers who damage everything.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

As mentioned a while ago in another thread I have had post 'go missing' a few times with Royal Mail and have emailed my concerns to them a couple of times.
Sometimes an honest person a couple of streets away has brought my mail to me as I have delivered mail wrongly posted through my door.
Usually the door number is correct but not the road name, being crescent or road rather than our drive.
I hope Amazon are successful in their claim on Royal Mail as maybe it will encourage them to encourage their staff to be more careful with other people's property.
Just as an afterthought, maybe Royal Mail staff are under such pressure to perform to targets that service suffers as a result.
I don't suppose we have any Royal Mail staff on the forum who would care to comment?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

You would have thought it would be difficult for the Postman to deliver to the wrong address
when "Stratsworth House" is the only building for miles, and difficult to miss !

Wink
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Its a post code lottery (sic)  Smiley
living in Filey North Yorkshire our local postman (was a woman till about a year ago) is a member of the local community and doesn't need the address to be correct.  But then when we move here my phone number was Filey 2943 so we are well known.  Smiley
but behind that there are problems. When I have tracked deliveries you see received in the afternoon but not shipped out till late on the next day, into a central depot and missing another two days, stuck in another distribution centre,  then no more entries till it arrives on my doorstep.
I put up with Royal Mail because of the local element  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
WTF
Grafter

Years ago, I sent a parcel from the south of Holland to the UK.  I asked the guy in the Dutch post office when I could expect it to arrive.  He said he didn't know about the UK end, but the parcel would leave the Netherlands that evening.
Six weeks later, it finally arrived.  By which time, I'd moved back to the UK and could have simply taken the stuff with me in the car.
Strat
Community Veteran

My replacement SSD has arrived by Royal Mail Tracked :)....along with a letter addressed to someone else on a road nearby Angry
I wonder if that person also has my original SSD order. Undecided
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Strat
Community Veteran

Well the drive's in with W7 Home Premium installed and configured sufficiently to run....and it's quick.
The hardest part was getting a power cable close enough to plug into the drive (there are 4 in there now) as I've misplaced the crow bar I usually use when rebuilding computers Huh
IE went straight out of the window before it got a strangle hold and Waterfox is back.
One question for SSD users out there.
The Samsung Magician Optimisation offers 1 of 3 options
1: Maximum Performance
2: Maximum Capacity
3: Maximum Reliability
I would have liked all three but I have selected Maximum Reliability.....what have you selected if any?
PitchBlack
Grafter

I chose advanced, (maybe win 8 only)
Hibernation mode, - active
Indexing service - active
prefetch / superfectch - deactive
write cache buffer - active
all the shortcut ones left alone and the write buffer flushing greyed out.
Maybe good, maybe bad, but this is how I have it set.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

I've not got a Samsung - my C: drive is a 100GB OCZ-Vertex2 (a bit long in the tooth I guess), running Win7 Ultimate 64-bit.
I remember reading when I first installed it that it was best to turn the Indexing Service off for SSDs, which is what I did for my C: drive.  I guess it's a bit like the reason for Win7 automatically turning off defrag for SSDs to reduce the number of writes to the device.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you disabled the swap file on the SSD, or moved the page file to another hard drive ?
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Disable Disk Indexing  
Turn off Scheduled Defragmentation
Disable Paging Files,, if you have more than 4gig ram
Deactivate Prefetch and Superfetch
i also have  turned off windows search
also i have turned off system restore
& ensure you have got trim enabled  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Strat
Community Veteran

I have some more tweaking to do including stuff mentioned in posts above. It's been a long day.
Hmmmm.....
Performance Score

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20GHz 7.2        7.2
Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB                                                      7.2
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series                                7.6
Gaming graphics 2811 MB Total available graphics memory    7.6
Primary hard disk 444GB Free (466GB Total)                          7.9
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I agree with most of this but
Quote from: rongtw
Disable Paging Files,, if you have more than 4gig ram

The argument I have heard against this is that if you have plenty of RAM then the paging file should never get used anyway.  A few old or badly-written programs make use of the paging file and won't work if it is disabled.
Quote from: rongtw
also i have turned off system restore

You can make an argument for doing this even with a conventional hard drive but you can save yourself hours of work by using System Restore; a complete Windows re-install is the worst-case alternative.

PitchBlack
Grafter

I have initial set at 200MB, and maximum set at 2GB, this is with 16 gig of memory.
Strat
Community Veteran

The Samsung only disables system restore when Maximum Performance is selected in configuration.
For Maximum Reliability only Hibernation Mode, Virtual Memory and Indexing Service / Search are turned off.
I'm going to re-enable system Restore for peace of mind if nothing else.