Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Power Supply

journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Computer Power Supply

I'm having a clear out, pretty basic question:
Is it possible to 'test' a spare desktop power supply without putting it in a PC.
i.e if I plug it in the mains will the fan spin?
6 REPLIES 6
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Computer Power Supply

Depends on the type.
If it's a modern ATX type you need to short out 2 connectors (paperclip job?) on the main mobo lead to tell it to turn on.
IIRC it's the solitary green lead (pin 14) to either of the adjacent black ones.
Colours may vary and you may also need a load of some sort as well, e.g. a disk drive.
journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@HP, thanks, didn't know if I'd do any damage
Anonymous
Not applicable

I won an ATX PSU tester on eBay recently for £4.99 including postage, and spent a couple of hours this afternoon checking my collection of PC power supplies.
This is a great bit of kit and saves messing about linking connector pins and measuring the rail voltages with a multimeter.
It has connectors on all four sides for testing all the plugs on the PSU wiring harness.
I had expected (for the price) for this to be a cheap and nasty device, but I am pleasantly surprised at the build quality, and that all the displayed voltages match my multimeter's measurements.  Smiley
holdtight
Grafter

Now that's a very useful bit of kit, don't know why ive not come across one of these before but its now on the list
As some time has passed and considering its price hows it held up to doing some work purleigh?
If alls still well it'll be going further up the list of next purchases  Cool
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's still working fine and shows no sign of the connectors becoming loose, so I am still well pleased  Smiley
holdtight
Grafter

Seems like a bargain then considering the time it will save messing about with a multimeter!
Cheers  Smiley