Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Crashing

idlewis
Grafter

Computer Crashing

Hi there
Computer keeps crashing if I do not delete the temporary files for a long period of time and if I do that I need to logging in websites like plusnet chat forums plus also I will not get updates unless I delete the temporary files,  Are there any solutions out there to solve this problem.
Thanks
12 REPLIES 12
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Re: Computer Crashing

I assume you are using Internet Options to delete the files? If so, don't tick the Form Data and passwords options and tick the "preserve favourites website data" option.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sounds strange, have you tried an alternate browser? I'm using Chrome at home.
Anonymous
Not applicable

In Firefox you can set it to delete the cache (and other downloaded elements) automatically when the browser closes, so next time you start Firefox you are effectively starting from fresh.
To do this -
Edit  >  Preferences
Select the "Privacy" tab
In the "History" section, change from "Remember history" to "Use custom settings for history"
Tick the box "Clear history when Firefox closes",  Now select the "Settings..." button to the right
Then select any categories you wish to clear on exit, such as "Cache", etc.  Click OK
Hit the "Close" button, and it is all set to clear the selected elements.  Cheesy
idlewis
Grafter

Hi there I got Transport direct and it only works on internet explorer.  Transport has a toolbar where I can enter to postcodes on any website so I know how to get a to b. 
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Could your hard drive be dangerously close to completely full?  That might explain your problems, if you need to delete temporary files in order to give yourself some space. 
idlewis
Grafter

Hi there
I am only using 2% of of hard disk..  I have took up nozzer's suggestion and see how I get on.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If your computer keeps crashing, not just Internet Explorer (your web browser) but the entire computer, then the root cause of your problem is much more serious than a failure to delete temporary files. 
nozzer
Hero

Quote from: idlewis
Hi there
Computer keeps crashing if I do not delete the temporary files for a long period of time and if I do that I need to logging in websites like plusnet chat forums plus also I will not get updates unless I delete the temporary files,  Are there any solutions out there to solve this problem.
Thanks

By "crashing" you mean....??  Freezing, blue screen, greyed out screen???
idlewis
Grafter

Hi Nozzer
The computer sometimes freezes and it takes an hour plus or when it runs out of battery power.
nozzer
Hero

"It takes an hour plus...." meaning you actually wait an hour for something to happen????Huh
Press these keys in this order and hold each one down as you do it ..   Ctrl...  Alt... Del..   You should then be presented with the Windows shut-down screen which gives you several oprtions, including the Start/restart symbol in the bottom right-hand corner. Press the Tab key until the up-arrow symbol is highlighted, then press Enter, and use the arrow keys to navigate to the Restart function, then press Enter and it should restart.
If that doesn't work, hold the start button in for at least four seconds and the whole shooting match will shut down instantly.
idlewis
Grafter

Thank you Nozzer for that.
Do you what causes that and anything else I should do to stop it happening again.
nozzer
Hero

Could be anything and everything! Gremlins. If you find that it happens often then clear your cache if that helps. I assume you have favourites configured for your well used web sites so you can go to them easily?