Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Crash

iansimms
Grafter

Computer Crash

My computer crashed today with the following error
Stop : 0xxxxxxxED (0x86D5FEE30, 0xC0000006, 0xoooooooo, 0x00000000)
I have a lot of important work on PC and would really appreciated. I cannot find the XP sp2 installation disc and it is a Dell Dimension 5000.
7 REPLIES 7
God
Grafter

Re: Computer Crash

Am I right in saying that you have tried booting more than once and had the same result?
Have you tried booting in ‘safe mode’ (pressing F8  several times during the initial PC start up and selecting safe mode)?
If your PC won’t boot properly and your data is very important you have choices, trying to repair the faulty system installation or attempting to back up your data.
If it was me I would try and back up the data first then repair the system software.
To back up the data you will need to own or borrow an external hard drive or USB stick (depending on how much data you have). Then you will need recovery/ backup software such as ‘Acronis True Image’ http://eu.acronis.com/
This software will boot from a CD (assuming it isn't a hardware problem) and therefore bypass your corrupt system software. You will be able to back up your data and then feel secure in attempting to fix the system software.
I don’t know how PC experienced you are so if the above sounds daunting then you should seek the advice of a local expert.
I cannot stress enough that if your data is REALLY important the priority is to save the data and worry about getting the PC working later! 
samuria
Grafter

Another good way forward is a linux boot cd or windows PE both will let you copy data off to other drives/devices.
Other than boot into safe mode you can try F8 and try last known good configuration which may solve it.
If you have more than one stick of memory in try removing one stick and try again than swap over if that fails and while you have the pc apart clean the cpu fan etc as this could cause it.
Check with Dell as most have a hidden partion on the drive for recover so you dont need the windows cd.
WARNING this normaly  wipes the drive
God
Grafter

The Dell recovery partitions I have seen allow you to burn the dell windows disk and then delete that extra partition, leaving your original system partition as is. But if you back the whole thing up first with decent software you will even be able to restore the dell partition.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

And if all else fails...
Take the disk out of your PC and install it as a secondary disk in another PC. You will be able to read it etc and take backups.
You should also (hopefully) be able to repair the boot problem.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

iansimms
Grafter

Thanks to everybody for their help, everything going smooth now.
God
Grafter

Out of interest did you discover what the problem was and how did you finally fix it?
iansimms
Grafter

Unfortunately i lost every hing.