cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compressed air

Mav
Fixes: 514

Compressed air

With the VIAO running a tad warm lately (CPU 60C average when idling) and the fan working harder and noisier than it used to I thought I'd look into attempting to blow as much dust away using a can of compressed air.
I found this in Amazon. Cheap but any good?
I would not try opening and serving myself and the local PC shop wants 50-55 squid Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

12 REPLIES 12
RickK
Grafter

Re: Compressed air

Hi Mav,
Generally any can of compressed air would do, from personal experience I even brought some at Asda once for £3 and it worked fine.
The downside of it being a laptop is that you will be spraying it into the air vents and most likely pushing dust further in.
When you use the VAIO I presume you are just sitting with it on your lap or a hard surface? Don't forget the hot weather also takes its toll on computers as it tries to suck air in to circulate through.
If you do use it on your lap, make sure you use like a wooden board or even get a lap rest because air needs to be accessible from the bottom of the laptop, most laptops will pull air in this way and push it out of the sides.
Good luck, and if you have any questions, please do let me know.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

It's OK, I'd risk it for about £4. I use the same stuff to clean dust off the motherboard for my desktop PC and the inside of my guitar amp (lots of valves and transistors that attract dust) it depends how much dust is in there and if any of the vents are clogged really, be careful you don't push the dirt further in like RickK says, I use an old makeup brush (property of an ex-girlfriend I'd like to state) which can be quite effective, I'd imagine any soft brush would work the same.. I'd also advise keeping your vacuum cleaner switched on and a hose nearby for any dust and detritus that might come flying out Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Mav

Thanks for the replies
Actually, it's never been used on  a lap. I gave it to SWMBO last year along with a stand so the air flow around it is ample. It's not particularly hot in our house so don't think it is related to the hot spell we're having.
Maybe I'll check out ASDA to see if they have any before buying from Amazon. Thanks.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I use my vacuum cleaner's flexible extension with a narrow nozzle fitted.
That way the dust is sucked back out, a reverse of the way it went in.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Mav

That may be a solution. Thanks, strat.
I'm used to putting the vacuum cleaner over the PC having taking the sides off.
It may save a few quid but, hey, rather my pocket than someone else's Cheesy

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

As long as everything that should be in the case is still in there after you have finished.
I once sucked a SATA cable out of a PC and wondered why it wouldn't boot afterwards Embarrassed
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

@strat - I bet you were better at sucking spaghetti when you were younger, and leaving nothing in the bowl  Wink
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I had a decent laptop repair store in my area until it got taken over.  They kept a big cylinder of high pressure air which they once used for me to good effect and for only a small fee.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

'Real' compressed air is usually a lot better then aerosol cans of 'propellant' but not everyone has access to it.  With the right fittings you could use the spare tyre off your car as a source.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Mav

Ran the vacuum cleaner over all the vents and now the CPU it's idling at a more comfortable 49/50C and only went up to 51C while playing HD video and running lots of other programs.
System temp hasn't gone over 53C since Smiley
Edit: I also just used the vacuum on my own laptop which was idling around 50/55C and is now a very cool 44C.
Thanks strat Smiley

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Cool i am ok my neighbor has a compressor in his workshop , which i use once a month free of charge .PS  my tower has a handy carrying handle
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have one of these powerful monsters -

for when I need a serious blow job  Kiss