Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system: InstallScript Engine issue

henderson1977
Grafter

Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system: InstallScript Engine issue

Dear all
We have a number of requests to install the "Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system" so that users can work with DOCX, XLSX (etc..) files.  This is fine but we need to make sure the changes integraste with our Interwoven DeskSite 8.0 Document Management System (DMS).
We use LANDesk to deploy our apps.  The LANDesk package has no problem installing the following in sequence:-
1) Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system
2) Interwoven DeskSiteSite 8.0 SP1 Patch 4
3) Interwoven MailSite 8.0 SP1 Patch 4
However, we get an MSI error when trying to install QuickView Updater 8.2 relating to InstallScript Engine (ISE).  So we extracted ISE (MSI) from the QuickView Updater 8.2 MSI and it installs fine to C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150.  I know because the logfile confirms "Successfully installation".  But when QuickView Updater 8.2 is installed, although the original MSI error relating to the ISE no longer occurs, the logfile confirms the installed version of ISE (1150) is "adequate" and it appears to have worked, it is not listed in Add/Remove Programs and the logfile confirms "the installation operation failed".  Posters on the forum (http://community.installshield.com/printthread.php?t=149462&pp=40) confirm they are having similar issues which points to a problem with ISE specifically and the following is true:-
- Launch msi as local system when an admin is logged in: works
- Launch msi as local system when nobody is logged in: works
- Launch msi as local system when a non-admin user is logged in: doesn't work.
In our case the logged on user is a non-admin domain user, hence the installation fails.
As a workaround we have tested that adding the domain users to a Desktop Admins A.D. group (i.e. admin rights) does work, but this is not desirable because we would be elevating their permissions unecessarily and users could install non-standard apps which is against our IT policy.
Ideally, we need a solution to the InstallScript Engine (ISE) issue so that it can be installed using an admin account (e.g. LocalSystem) while logged on as a domain user (non-admin rights).
If it helps to troubelshoot this issue, I have attached the LANDesk package logfile and the QuickView Updater 8.2 logfile.
I have logged this issue with Interwoven but no help as yet.  So any help you can offer would be much appreciated.
Many thanks
Scott
---------------------
All clients running Windows XP SP2 (expect to be XP SP3 soon) with DeskSite 8.0 SP1 HF2 & Patch 4 (8.00.100) and MailSite 8.0 SP1 HF2 & Patch
4 (8.00.100). All domain user accounts are non-admin. We use LANDesk to deploy all our apps which uses the LocalSystem account to install apps.
Interwoven Server 8.0 (not sure on exact version).
7 REPLIES 7
Not applicable

Re: Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system: InstallScript Engine issue

Hmm, I deploy all apps via AD (Assign app to computer, then its intalled when the Group Policy is refreshed, *before* users log on)
Deploying apps via AD does not give users elevated privledges to install other programs, its explicit that it only installs and allows the install of applications you assign or publish.
I'm not really clear on why you use a 3rd party app to do something that AD already does.
If you point me to the download, I'll have a go at assigning it here, and see if I run into any issues.
henderson1977
Grafter

Hi James - thanks for your prompt reply!
I am sure it's not the deployment tool (in our case LANDesk) that is causing the issue here, it's the QuickView Updater 8.2 MSI that doesn't seem to like the InstallScript Engine for some reason.
I am happy for you to test but not sure where I can upload the 2 MSIs (1.75MB in total) for you to access?  Unless I email them to you?
Scott
Not applicable

OK, I'd misread your original problem...
However, the result could well be a similar idea to what I was thinking of.
It sounds to me like you have a package which lauches two distinct installs; firstly the InstallShield Engine install, then secondly the Quickview install.
There's a couple of reasons why packagers do this, but predominantly its to control variables - if they force the install of a specific version if ISE, they know that their package will work with it.
Anyway, I digress;
The trouble with the above approach is as you've discovered, no matter which credentials you set the first package to run with, the second package will launch with the currently logged in user's credentials, and fail. (Assuming they don't have the rights.)
The simplest solution is to run the installer with nobody logged in, because then the machine will automatically use its local system account, and will successfully run.
Alternatives are to try to split down the package into its two (or more) elements, and set your installer to install them in turn with the correct credentials (Don't know if you have the tools available to do this?)
Personally I'd simply deploy the applications to the machines via a Group Policy in Active Directory - its one of the least administrative effort ways to do so, and ensures you can easily remove applications in future or apply upgrades to them if needed.
Given the issues you have with deploying the packages currently because of the second installer launching, its probably better to Assign the packages to machines, this way you can be sure that they will be installed before a user even gets a chance to log on.

Is there a benefit to using the LANDesk tool? I've had a look at their website, and can't see much that'd motivate me to pay for a third party tool. What does it do that can't already be done using existing bundled tools?
henderson1977
Grafter

Hi James
Good point about LANDesk's (lack of) advantages over Group Policy, but essentially it was a decision over my head and we have to get on with LANDesk.
You made a couple points I'd like to expand on...
1) Alternatives are to try to split down the package into its two (or more) elements, and set your installer to install them in turn with the correct credentials (Don't know if you have the tools available to do this?)
I never knew this was possible, do you know what tools can do this and how I implement this please?
2) The simplest solution is to run the installer with nobody logged in, because then the machine will automatically use its local system account, and will successfully run.
I have looked at pushing the LANDesk package to each machine which first executes a VBScript to check to see if anyone is logged on then if not it executes the package, otherwise it fails and tries repeatedly until it's successful.  Not a VB guru so not having much success in testing.  Perhaps I'm over-complicating matters, is there an easier method please?  Perhaps WMI?
Thanks
Scott
samuria
Grafter

The way we used to do it is to use Wise or similar and repackage the  whole lot into one package. You can install by do a runas and run it as an admin if you use Autoit free fromhttp://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/ it creates a exe so people cant see the password. Its well worth a look as its a great script language very easy to use with one line to do a lot of tasks and being an exe its great. You can pass parameters to anything its works like a macro recorder once you tried it you wont do with out it and there loads of support for it
Not applicable

Quote from: henderson1977
2) The simplest solution is to run the installer with nobody logged in, because then the machine will automatically use its local system account, and will successfully run.
I have looked at pushing the LANDesk package to each machine which first executes a VBScript to check to see if anyone is logged on then if not it executes the package, otherwise it fails and tries repeatedly until it's successful.  Not a VB guru so not having much success in testing.  Perhaps I'm over-complicating matters, is there an easier method please?  Perhaps WMI?

I was thinking the easiest way would be via AD.
Removes any complications of trying to run scripts to make it do as you want, and gives you an opportunity to demonstrate a possible cost saving to the business.
It depends on how much autonomy you are granted, and how your network is set up to allow you to test/demonstrate the advantages (cost/ease)
I find it easier to link a GPO forcing the install of apps to all computers joining my domain, I created MSI's for a couple of custom apps we use which didn't have MSI's, so everything thats needed is installed according to the config I chose.
For other users who require additional apps, I have policies linked to deploy these apps to those users only.
They aren't installed unless the EU actually attempts to run the app, and when they do, the first time they just have to wait a few mins whilst AD installs the application for them. (Seamlessly and without interaction.)
It also means that users can use any machine they want, with their ability to use applications following them around.
I find it easier than ghosting machines, given the wide variety of hardware and apps in use here, but obviously the solution won't be for everybody.
~}~
In terms of demo'ing the ease, if you don't have a test area to use for demonstrating stuff like this, I'd be tempted to use Virtual Machines.
You can set up a couple of VMs, join them to your domain, then whip a policy together to deploy the MSI to those machines. (Probably by moving them to a new OU and linking a GPO to that OU)
Assuming that this shows a success with this particular application, you could extend the test to show all the apps you use being deployed to the VMs.
Take it to your boss - !Profit!
An easy to use way of doing something you can *almost* do with an additional commercial product, for less cost.
Pay rise and promotion await...
henderson1977
Grafter

Thanks James/Samuria, good advice.  I'll take it on board and hope to get time to test/POC/etc...
In the meantime, I'll have a go at Samuria's AutoIT suggestion.  I've used it once before many moons ago so hopefully it's give us the results we're looking for.
Cheers
Scott