Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparitive ISP performance

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Comparitive ISP performance

I came across an interesting page in BT's financial statements regarding the performance (speed) of different ISP's:-

Screenshot.png

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

4 REPLIES 4
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: Comparitive ISP performance

I see Plusnet is shown on the graph as 66Mb which funny enough is what is shown when I go into my broadband section. Coincidence? Maybe. I use to get 78Mb. It'll be interesting to see if my line improves when I change ISP.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
idonno
Champion

Well, that is a bit of a shocker considering how long it's been since I last achieved a 78Mb sync - i.e. quite a few years..

Changed ISP and started off at a lowly 58.5Mb. Come 19th Dec and sync had gone up to 69860 and I really thought, same same as I used to get at PN. Today, I had another look to find the line is now syncing at 79848. Maybe I should have switched ISP much earlier.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Anonymous
Not applicable

@idonno  did you install a better modem when you changed ISP, or is it the same one that you were using previously with Plusnet ?

I experimented with several different modems when I upgraded to FTTC, and was surprised at the wide variation in attainable sync speeds between devices.  Currently I get the highest sync speeds with a DrayTek Vigor130.

idonno
Champion

I'm just using the same piece of kit and cables that I used with PN i.e. Vigor 130 and a TP-link C9 router. All that's been changed was the username and password to log on to the new ISP.