cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community DNS project

kellsconnor

Community DNS project

Hi all; I'm wondering would anybody be interested in setting up a community DNS so we can host and control all aspects of our own domain name resolution.
I've a primary nameserver running now on my own server connected to the end of a plusnet ADSL-max connection, thing is plusnet can't provide a secondary nameserver for xfers unless you use both their primary and secondary. This has left me with no option but to locate and use a remote secondary “not at all a bad thing” but I'd prefer to have more people on board within this community that have the need and ability to lift such a project of the ground.
If you’re interested in becoming a primary/master or secondary/slave please respond with your details and or requirements or you can email me privately.
Many thanks!
Hazel/Graham
3 REPLIES 3
itsme
Grafter

Re: Community DNS project

What are the benefits over using a DNS hosting service?
I use www.dnsmadeeasy.com at $14.95 pa for 3 domains and have complete control over my DNS. I also use them for a MX backup which is more important to me and I was using this service with Plusnet DNS.
kellsconnor

free.. faster changes more control "I don't like having to wait hours for DNS changes" and more importantly local... as for the MX thats something completely different but if your setting up your own NS then I guess you'd be setting up your own MX also for the same reasons!

DuncanMossop

I would potentially be interested in doing something like this, let me know what you need.