Commodore 64 lives again

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Commodore 64 lives again

Hi All
From my forum here
Just seen this:
Edited By me some of the information from the BBC was wrong, plus added links.
[quote="Classic Commodore 64 lives again"]
Fans of retro computing will soon be able to buy a modern PC clad in a classic case
Commodore is making a Linux PC that fits inside a boxy beige shell that looks exactly like its original C64 it will ship with Ubuntu!
The 8-bit machine was released in 1982, had 64 kilobytes of memory and became one of the best-selling computers ever.
Commodore's updated version will run Ubuntu but also has an emulator capable of playing games written for its ancestor.
Commodore has started taking orders for the C64x, priced at $595 (£364), and said the machines would ship between May and June. It is expected to appear in shops later in the year.
The machine's internal hardware will be based around a dual-core Intel Atom D525, a chip typically found in notebook computers.
Its 1.8Ghz chip is far faster than the 8-bit 1MHz MOS 6502 processor used in the 80's original.
The C64x will also use an integrated Nvidia graphics chip and buyers have the option of equipping a model with a Bluray DVD player.
All the hardware for the machine fits inside the keyboard case.
The first models will sport the same taupe colour scheme as the original along with a "clicky" keyboard familiar to anyone who used the older C64 or its predecessors, the Vic 20 and Commodore 16.

I know what is going on my christmas wish list.   Smiley  Wink
[Edit]
A question is will Commodore Business Machines be selling an adapter that'll let us connect our old tape drives?
Yes I have a lot of old tapes for the Commodore 64
5 REPLIES 5
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Commodore 64 lives again

Cool. My first start in computing was with a Vic20!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Don't forget
ZSNES is a Super Nintendo emulator... On April 2, 2001 the ZSNES project was GPL'ed and its source released to the public. It currently runs on Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, and DOS.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The good old cbm64. That's what I used to use to get onto the Internet, or bulletin boards as it was way back then.
Plug in the modem cartridge, pick up the phone and dial the number, then hang up when you hear the computer warbling noise, magic.
"Yes I have a lot of old tapes for the Commodore 64"
I probably still have a lot of "compilation" tapes around somewhere.
Vic20 loved the bomber game where you had to keep knocking skyscrapers down to stop you crashing into them.

matt_2k34
Grafter

The Sega MegaDrive has made a comback too ! (This one DOES let you play your original carts too!) Buy one Cheesy
Gotta love retro gaming ❤️
And ZSNES is alright... but i prefer my real SNES Smiley Looks *beautiful* on 47" of LCD  Shocked and sounds it with surround sound ❤️ ... why wasnt this available when i was a kid!? Sad
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I used to love playing this on my MSX http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manic_Miner
MSX here...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSX
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.