Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Come back Vista - all is forgiven

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Come back Vista - all is forgiven

Microsoft got a huge amount of stick for bundling their own web browser with Windows.  Now they don't bundle their own email client or calendar, are people going to complain also?  And surely running an email client on your computer is soooooooooooo last millennium?
I have many folders in My Documents but one or two I use very frequently.  To access them under previous versions of Windows it was:
Click Start - Click Documents - Scroll to find folder - Double click to open
With Windows 7 I have added my frequently used folders to the Library so to open them requires:
Click Library - Double click folder to open
Missing out the stage of scrolling to find the folder feels much better to me.

Not applicable

surely running an email client on your computer is soooooooooooo last millennium?

Yes, you have a point. As regards the library, I will have to learn how to use it properly as you have done.
Since posting I have persevered and am beginning to like it more.
Using the Live Mail (just for emails that I need to save} and it's OK now.
Also using Google calendar and that's fine too as I can access it with either computer.
Last night thought that there was summat up as the desktop picture changed - seems that it is normal (quite like it).
Feel more optimistic now but RR is correct - I need to enter this century and change my computer habits.
Fortunately, I just love the new lappy - very fast and neat. It's pure white and just looking at it pleases me (OK I know it''s a girly thing!).
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Quote from: poppy
it has an Atheros AR928X Wireless Adapter.

Don't know about that particular chipset (I can't remember the ones I have at home) but I've never had any trouble with Atheros wifi on debian,  at first using madwifi and possibly the most recent one in the kernel.
David_W
Rising Star

You could use Google Chrome as an application launch.... thing.  You use Google Calendar (ok, how come Google Chrome picks up Google as a typo? I'm sure I've said that already somewhere...) so with Chrome you just click "Create Application Shortcuts" which gives you a shortcut on the desktop, double click and Chrome launches it as it would a normal application, very useful for frequently visited sites.  With that you could use Chrome as your email client, with one linking to gmail, one to hotmail (I refuse to call it live mail!) one to calendar and such.
You get an icon on your desktop, it can be for any website (even these forums), I guess its a bit like having an URL shortcut only it opens in Chrome without any of the browsery bits.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have given up on the library due to one major feature (Microsoft term for a bug) which wasn't in the early beta versions. When you change the folder view for one of the subfolders it changes all the folder view settings for the other folders.
An example - if one library entry say Documents has subfolders containing pictures and word documents then changing the pictures sub folder to show large thumbnails also changes the word document sub folder to use large thumbnails.