cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Come back Vista - all is forgiven

Not applicable

Come back Vista - all is forgiven

Treated myself to a new Sony lappy at the weekend and it is gorgeous......love it but it has Windows 7 on it and am not a happy bunny!
First of all, the desktop is insipid and boring, particularly the horrible flat task bar.
Don't like the library system - all I want is a shortcut to docs on my taskbar like I used to have but no, the shortcut has to be on the desktop.
The only thing I can do now is to have the Library thingy on the taskbar and then open Documents. And what's all this about 2 locations? Can't make head nor tail of it.
There was something about a Public Document folder on the startup menu so I deleted it and now I've just got Documents/My Documents (I  use submenu).
This gives me Documents>My Documents>then a list of what is in the folder. Before it was just Documents>folder list.
There is no Windows Mail but Microsoft have been kind enough to leave a useless folder behind which is short of the files to execute the programme. I can get it working but only by using a Take Ownership script. I'm using Thunderbird now and getting used to it - am having to because I hate - no detest,  that Windows Live thingy that they want you to download.
There isn't even a calendar facility. I used to use this a lot as it reminded me when the computer booted up and AFAIK none of the free ones do this.
Am back to using Reminderfox which is OK while you are online but I like a standalone one.
Sidebar has disappeared but again the folder is there. Now we can have the gadgets floating about but guess what?  Mine are lined up just where they would have been on Vista.
After all the fuss about how marvellous W7 is I was expecting great things but frankly I an very disappointed. Also, although nothing to do with W7, have had to uninstall loads of bloatware - there are one or two things I am not sure about so have left them.
I am very tempted to go buy a disk with Vista on it and reformat the lot. Either that or ditch it all together for Ubuntu.  Angry
19 REPLIES 19
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Come back Vista - all is forgiven

I don't like the library system either but you can do this
Also this is how to get the quick launch bar back http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/888-quick-launch-enable-disable.html
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply oldjim. I didn't really want Quick Launch as described in the article.
I used to have all my little icons on the taskbar near the Start menu so this is what I would like again.
It seems that this is what I have been coming up against all the time - making modifications to change things to how I like them.
And that's another thing - I used to have my own little folder icon - it was the blue Leo one - I read that it was a Mac icon I think. Anyway, I can't even change how the folders look now.
I have reformatted my other Dell laptop with W7 full version but could return that to Vista Business I suppose so might have a go to see if it can be done (it is OEM/recovery disk).
I think that I shall have to go to Amazon to see if I can purchase Vista Home at a reasonable price to put on this Sony. I suppose that I could always sell the W7 full version if I am not using it.
Is this permissible? I'm a bit in a muddle at the moment - advice welcome.  Huh
community
Grafter

I'm afraid you're having the same misgivings about the new app as many more will surely have....
not that there's a lot wrong with W7...but it's been devised to offer new experiences and usually
we don't always like all of the newbies.  Angry
It's a very similar experience to what many keyboard players (music keyboards ) find when they buy a new board.
Unfortunately we get used to a particular goodie and then find it's been ditched on the next upgrade...trouble is if ALL
the features were continued in the next board, they would require enormous software.... Huh
paulby
Grafter

@poppy
I assume you're talking about the system tray near the clock.  
Have you tried right clicking on the system tray and then using the "customise" option that's under the hidden icons.
Windows 7 seems to hide all the icons by default and you need to tell it what you want to do with each individual one.
Edit:
Just re-read your reply to Old Jim.
As Old Jim said you can recreate the old quick launch bar as he described or, if you just want your icons to be beside the start menu, simply drag and drop your shortcut onto the task bar (and then delete it from your desktop). You can also right click on an application in the start menu and "pin" it to the task bar.  You can rearrange the order of the icons by dragging them to where you want.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I've still got a copy of Windows for Workgroups 3.1 on 3 1/2" floppies. Wink Smiley
Still running a RC copy of W7 on a laptop but will have to take the plunge sooner rather than later.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: poppy
to because I hate - no detest,  that Windows Live thingy that they want you to download.
There isn't even a calendar facility. I used to use this a lot as it reminded me when the computer booted up and AFAIK none of the free ones do this.

On this, if you are talking about Thunderbird, then install the lightening plug in/and the google cal sync option.
However I can't offer any help with W7 as I have never used it, or plan to.
Not applicable

Paul - thanks for advice. Have made a shortcut to My Documents on the desktop and dragged it to the taskbar but it just gives you the libraries folder again.
I know that as we get older we don't like change, but it just seems barmy to take away a featurs like this that have been around since W98 (or 95 for all I know).
Also, it seems equally barmy to take away basic functions like Windows Mail and Calendar. Even Linux gives you an email client.
I am looking at ways of reformatting but I think that I will have to buy another full disk which ironically will be more expensive than W7 which I got  at pre-order price.
I reformatted an XP computer the other day and set it up - it was a delight to use compared to this thing - talk about progress!
Thanks for listening to my moans gents - it's good to unburden oneself.  Undecided
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Just reformat it and put Ubuntu on it, then get Sony to give you a refund for the W7  Grin Wink
Not applicable

get Sony to give you a refund for the W7

I actually thought about it Biker but reckoned that it would be more hassle than I wanted to endure. Anyway, I have activated it now so too late.
I have got loads of disk space on which to install Ubuntu as it has a 350GB hard drive.
This is an option that becomes increasingly more appealing although I haven't tried a live CD yet so don't know about the compatibility issues.
The wireless chip is usually the problem so will have to research - it has an Atheros AR928X Wireless Adapter.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Well lots of mixed reports there on the state of the wifi chip. Some say it works others it doesn't.
As you say try a live cd and if it works then the installed one should
David_W
Rising Star

Quote from: biker955
Just reformat it and put Ubuntu on it, then get Sony to give you a refund for the W7  Grin Wink

Not possible, Poppy has accepted the EULA and the OS is registered so you can't use the clause for a refund.
The library system is actually pretty fantastic though, you just need to keep at it.  I keep my music on a different hard drive for instance, and in different folders, using the library you can drag and drop the folder for the music on the other hard drive (symbolic link) into the library folder, open up the music folder and all your music from all over your system, different hard drives, removable discs etc. are all in that one location, same with documents, videos, so instead of having to go to (for instance) E:\Media\Music\Rock and Roll\Rick Astley, i can drag and drop Rock and Roll to the music library, double click "David" / "Music" and all my music is there (but not moved, just linked).
If you drag and drop the Documents folder to your task bar you'll get the option "Pin to taskbar", right click then on the Explorer icon and you'll get your list of pinned folders, including your documents folder, is that what you were looking for?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

What you are mentioning there (sounds like/) is what is known is *nix terms as symlinking. A permanent link to the folder/file residing in a different folder. A bit like a shortcut in M$ terms but much more efficient and malleable. E.g. I have a link to one of my other machines linked to /mnt/torry and then symlinked to my home folder. I can then move files/etc on the other machine as if it was local. I also have other symlinks to other hdd's on this pc to my home folder so I just see one folder and don't bother with where the data actually is.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You can see (a probably) more like Windows desktop with Ubuntu - see attachment for example of my desktop. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
It's even got a Symbolic link on it!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Not applicable

Just had a metaphorical nudge from jmdlp - she says that I haven't given W7 long and she is, of course, correct.
Have managed to get Windows Mail working with a Take Ownership script that I downloaded so that has made me a bit happier.
will take a look for a fix for the calendar and if not will have to download my Works one although will have to install the rest of the suite with it which I don't really use.
Also done a bit of desktop customizing and looks a bit more normal now.
The library business is another thing - will have to put up with it I suppose.
Embarrassed