Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Com Port query / problem

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Com Port query / problem

Running Vista Home Premium 32 bit.  Program in use CWCOM.... morse over the internet chat program.
Requires a Serial/USB converter lead to connect morse key to laptop.  Laptop Dell Inspiron 1545  about 4 years old.
Problem... have been using CWCOM on this laptop ( and other 10" laptop) for about 2 years ... normally, it works fine... with the occasional glitch, requiring ( seemingly ) a re-start of CWCOM to cure the problem... which, is that the sound card ( presumably ) produces a random "MARK" whilst the key is trying to send dots and dashes  ( short and long "mark" tones).  At first , I thought it was the key contact points were, maybe dirty,... so have cleaned them... then i suspected the connections.. (loose? not making good connection).. cleaned and tightened up... then I suspected that maybe a short in the DB9 connector on the USB/Serial lead... checked and found to be ok.  next I suspected that the COMPORT had been compromised, as with "something else" running on the same comport number... ( only got a mouse and the USB/Serial lead plugged into seperate USB ports)... so went into control panel > Devices > COM & LPT ports... changed the comport number... still the same problem...
Next I try a different USB/Serial lead, from my 10" laptop.... auto installed the driver and gave comport 16... ( this is not "in range" for CWCOM selection of comport number)... the highest number CWCOM will allow is 14... on the list that appears on Control panel > Devices> Com & LPT ports... all but com port 1 seem to be  (in use)... but I have nothing plugged into any comport  ( except via the USB/Serial converter as mentioned)...
Is there a way of "clearing the COMPORT numbers (in use) list... ... and can anyone suggest why the soundcard should be playing up ...and possible way to solve it...?
8 REPLIES 8
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Com Port query / problem

try here for you com ports http://www.digi.com/support/kbase/kbaseresultdetl?id=3308
is there a new driver for soundcard ?
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

It seems unusual (to me) to have quite so many COM ports in use (also relatively unusual for COM1 not to be in use).
If you right-click each COM port in Device Manager and look at properties it should tell you what device each one is associated with, it could be that the sound card creates virtual com ports, not sure if disabling unused hardware ports might 'free up' some COM numbers but best to know what each one is first.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
shutter
Community Veteran

OK... thanks guys....  @rongtw... The linky said to reboot the computer after assigning comport number to make sure it had been assigned properly.... in actual fact, if I "set" the comport number to ( say ) 12 on device manager, and then go to cwcom I have to set the comport number to 12 manually and then it "connects" and shows as connected to that comport number... however, I will now open up my other laptop,... to keep the instructions visible, whilst I work on this one...
@ w23... yes I agree, it is weird to see them all (in use)... however it does not say what is being used on those comports... perhaps rongtw`s linky will give me some clues when I go through it on here with the other laptop showing the instructions....
shutter
Community Veteran

hmm.... just followed the instructions in the linky,....but it doesn`t say HOW to remove unused ports... just how to assign a port to an unused number..
EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT
aha ! yes it does... it says to remove.... right click and then click uninstall....however........
that only applies to those listed under COM & LPT ports... not those that are listed .(i.e. those already "(in use)" ...
on the "advanced" tab.... when trying to assign to a com port number...

Strangely,... my cwcom port is active on comport 6 but is showing as unused in the list on advanced settings ( with com 1 also unused)... com 2 to 5 and com7 to 15 are all showing (in use)   so I have selected com6 and rebooted...
doesn`t seem to have made any difference....
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Is this Windows <spit> ?
If so, you can have the fun of editing your registry.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

Spitting back at you, foxy,....... read the first line of the post....
and please.... be a linux lover.... and stay happy...

don`t get miserable because others do not share your enthusiasm.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The configuration of those virtual ports must be stored somewhere.
You just need to discover where.  Grin
BTW I just moved a PC upstairs that has real serial ports (and USB too).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

If you haven`t got anything constructive or helpful to add to this thread... then please do not add anything at all....