Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colour of button and wireless

dougle25
Dabbler

Colour of button and wireless

Hi All
          I have just got broadband and a new router .I am hard wired for my computer works well .But i can not get the kids on wireless  . i have seen the button on front of router but what does it do it seem to be red most of the time.
I can see the router on the network and have put the user name in and password but can not connect to it.
Help kids going mad at me.
Thanks for your help.
11 REPLIES 11
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Colour of button and wireless

What is the name and number of the router (make and model)
Does the "red light " have any name under/over it?
what other lights does it have, and what are they showing?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and welcome to the Forum
dougle25
Dabbler

Thomson gateway
Product is a TG585 V7
Red light no name
All lights on top are on but the front button is flashing red
mal0z
Grafter

sounds odd - I have the 585v7, and I can't make that light flash.
What firmware version do you have log into the router
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/index.shtml?supporta=hardwaresetupguides
http://www.thomsonbroadbandpartner.com/dsl-modems-gateways/products/product-detail.php?id=161
Denzil
Grafter

Just a thought - when you say you are putting the password in, you're not trying to use your Plusnet password for the wireless security are you? The default security key is usually printed on the router somewhere.
dougle25
Dabbler

Quote from: Denzil
Just a thought - when you say you are putting the password in, you're not trying to use your Plusnet password for the wireless security are you? The default security key is usually printed on the router somewhere.

I have a sticker with details on
Router adress http:/ /???????????????????
Routher Admin
Routher pass word ???????????????????
wireless name Plusnetwireless
Wireless key ?????????????????????

I am using wireless key number is this right or wrong ?
Thanks

pierre_pierre
Grafter

yes but it must be all capitals and WPA
Denzil
Grafter

Yes , the wireless key is the right one. Make sure also that you have exactly the same security options selected on the router and the laptop. There are different flavours of WPA, so make sure the same options are chosen. Check the laptop is actually capable of WPA, as well. Many older ones will only do WEP, which is nothing like as secure. If it only does WEP it can probably be upgraded by fitting a new mini-PCI wifi card inside.
hussa32

Hi,
I am just trying to set-up my wireless network also and am having he same trouble.  The router name appears in the Wireless network list but when you connect to and enter your WPA2 password it says "wireless network connection" - "waiting for network".  It seems as though the router is not communicating back as the light does not start flashing (as the ethernet light does if communicating via ethernet and the internet does when communicating with that)????  All lights on top are green and the light/button on the front is out. I have tried pressing this and trying again but it flashes orange and then after a while turns red.
I need help also, havetried various things and nothing seems to be working, I am usual good with problems like this but at the mo I am a bit stumped.
Sallyb54

Hi I am having the same problem, mine was fine and did connect ( after a 15 minute phone call !!)  but now  will connect on ethernet but not on wireless. I only got set up yesterday !!!
Mine seemed to lose the connection for wireless after I tried to install a wireless printer? I have the same router the tompson and it also has the light at the front which flases orange and then goes red . I am using windows 7?? I tied callin ghelp desk but thye told me they didnt know what to do and to call back if I cant sort it out !!! Cry
hussa32

The following day I could connect (not sure why, it just worked) but my connection keeps zoning in and out, sometimes the network is there and works for a time and sometimes it does not even appear in the Available Network list. I am baffled!!!!
Anyone please help us out..........