cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colour laser problem

Denzil
Grafter

Colour laser problem

Anybody good withcolour laser printers? I have a HP4550DN, which is great, but often smudges the image in patches down the left hand side. I have a service manual for it, but, not very helpfully it just suggests replacing the fuser, the imaging drum or the toner cartridges. Replacing bits at random could get expensive, so can anybody tell from the image what the problem could be?
This is a corner of a scanned print, not the whole page.
4 REPLIES 4
minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Colour laser problem

Not an expert by any means, but that looks like it could be the fuser. Does the 'ink' rub off with your finger? Its the fuser which seals it onto the paper and if that's faulty then it would cause that to happen.
If it was the toner, it probably would be all over the image - you could give your cartridge a good shake to make sure.
Jeff
BenG
Grafter

hi, I am no expert with printers cos I never use one, But I was just chatting to someone now on msn, and seen this post and asked them, thay aso had the same problum that happened on a HP 2300, thay suguested to as said below take the cartridges turn it up side down, then replace it, and print out about 10 or so pages. also suguested was to clean the roller with a drump  rag, not wet, and also give the head a clean, if this does not work, try updateing the drivers, or contact HP, seems to be a few with the same problum.
Hope that may help a little.
jnwright
Grafter

It does look as though it is black only giving you the problem, from your picture.  The various parts give different defect spacing down the page according to the size of the various rollers etc.  A guide to these spacings can be found here.  Take care not to touch the rollers.  Finger marks can cause various expensive effects!
Denzil
Grafter

The toner doesn't rub off, so the fuser is getting everything hot enough.
@jnwright
Nice link, thankyou. I had come up with the idea of measuring all rollers so see if any of them match the spacing, but some of them are hard to get at to measure. Will go and have a play.