Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Colour Laser Printers

3 REPLIES 3
Be3G
Grafter

Re: Colour Laser Printers

I haven't read through it all yet, but I've got to say that I definitely think laser printers (mono or colour) are under-appreciated. Inkjet printers are such a faff; the technology isn't perfect so printing/maintenance issues are inevitable, and everyone knows that inkjet cartridges are both lacking in capacity and vastly overpriced. Laser printers however are fantastic. They're amazingly solid, even the cheapest ones produce excellent quality print-outs, and the toner costs are much more reasonable. (Although if you buy a particularly cheap laser printer you'll probably find the toner being very expensive – a trick copied from the inkjet world.)
That doesn't mean I think inkjet printers don't have a place: they're great for photography, of course, which laser printers can't touch. (Although even then, if you want the best photographic quality you're probably better off with dye-sub.) But for general-purpose printing, laser printers are definitely the way forward.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Colour lasers are nice, but the running costs can be high, original tanks and opc drums can cost in the £100's, I used to use an old HP LJ as my b&w printer but when I was getting black ink carts for <£1 I swapped to using the ink jet printer, quality isn't as good but for the most part it is acceptable.
Denzil
Grafter

Running costs tend to be higher for cheaper 'home use' colour lasers, because the toner cartridges are rated at 1000 to 2000 pages. Spend a bit more on the printer and the cartridges will give you 4000, 8000 or 12000 prints, depending on the printer. A 12000 page cartridge is expensive, but per page is very little. You need to be doing a lot of printing to justify a printer like that, though. Cartridge costs also vary between manufacturers, so you just need to check out all the costs before buying.
I've got an HP4550 which I bought on a popular auction site for £90. Original cartridges can be found quite cheap for these as well.