Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Code Writers - A Challenge !

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Code Writers - A Challenge !

Enjoying using Linux Mint 19.1 since July this year... Window 7 is now on a Virtual Box, that I can access (almost) immediately, from an ICON on the Desktop.

The challenge to code writers is,..... Can you write a short code , (to produce an executive call from an ICON) as a front end, to a program that @Anonymous  has written for me, so that I can access it from the desktop, via the Icon, instead of having to use the terminal to access it.

Confidential answers to questions, can be answered via PM, if necessary ! .

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Code Writers - A Challenge !

yes Roll_eyes
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@dvorak  Please contact @Anonymous  direct, via P.M. for more information,  regarding the problem !

Thank you.

Wink

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fix

@shutter there are no secrets here, the fact that I wrote the program is of no consequence. The reason the binary (program) can't be double clicked to start is down to Linux Mint and nothing to do with me.

So what happens is when you double click on the binary this dialog appears:

Unknown file type dialog

Selecting "Choose a program" presents this dialog:

Open with dialogBut that's where my ability ends, as I don't know how to proceed.

Up to now the binaries been launched using a terminal like you see here:

Resizer and TerminalAs you can see it also writes to the terminal, so the ability to launch the binary within a terminal is what is needed here, so if @dvorak or anyone can help out here that would be appreciated.

This following really isn't relevant but this is not the program mentioned here as using Qt was a complete waste of time so this is a rewrite using Mint's native GTK interface and the jpeg library.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I think you should be able to right click the desktop, select 'create a new launcher here' and type the command location including the path.

That should create a link for you.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I believe theres a problem with Nemo ( and Nautilus ) incorrectly identifying 64 bit binaries as shared libraries and therefore not being able to run them directly. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MisterW That's sounds right to me as the binary is identified as a shared library which it isn't. @dvorak Doing as you suggest works, well sort of. Creating the launcher creates an icon on the Desktop you also get an option to add it to the menu where it appears under "Other".

Double clicking on the desktop launcher starts the binary but doesn't produce a terminal, but using the menu option does!

So, I deleted the desktop shortcut and right clicked the Resizer option where I got the following options:

Right click options

Selecting the "Add to desktop" recreated the launcher but doesn't produce a terminal either, however using the "Add to panel" one does. So as far as I'm concerned this is a suitable fix.