cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloud Drive Advice

BenG
Grafter

Cloud Drive Advice

hi, on my router I have a USB slot that I can out an external USB stick in and I can use it to share files with my dad, but it only 16GB and cos I have a lot of stuff on it it filling up, so I was speaking to someone that suggested a Cloud Drive. also with a Cloud drive, can I share files accorss the internet I do some programming and I keep uploading my examples to forums but I thought maybe I can have them on one drive. also with Cloud Drives can you also host a website or would I need a web server for that. as I been thinking of making a website for my programming stuff, I seen some web hosts
Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Cloud Drive Advice

why don't you simply connect an external USB HDD to the router - problem solved.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

you can but you would need to read up on exactly what sort of cloud service best suited you, from what you have outlined it sounds like you would need to use an enterprise product which might be rather costly, if your idea is to open share files you can set that up with onedrive and anything you save into the shared section you can set to be open shared and then link to various places so that anyone who wants to can access it  whilst retaining full privacy on other files, currently my onedrive I share with my family certain file sections (by login email invite only) whilst simultaneously having a public shared section, although the free onedrive limit of 15gb isn't that large I have however activated the office 365 family product and gained a 1tb storage limit which is rather handy as I now have over 40gb of photos lol
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
BenG
Grafter

Thanks for the  reply, I am going to order an external drive, I just thought you could only connect small USB sticks. that OneDrive looks really good, so I may go with that since my projects are small anyway so it be fine. I also seen something called DropBox so I may have a little look over that.
Anyway thanks for the help.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

not sure if the offer is still running but if you have a Hotmail/live/outloock/msn/xbox account there was an offer whereby signing up for dropbox free trial got you an extra 50 gb of one drive for a year, or if you have a windows phone you get 15 gb of extra storage for a year added ot your onedrive account,
best bit about it is the Microsoft account is free to create and it lets you link all your MS related products together and if you get one of the qualifying subscription services you get loads of extra storage or free Skype minutes or both Smiley using the non business version of office 365 I got to give each of my kids 1tb of onedrive and 60 minutes of Skype calls free every month for a year, and if I keep the subscription active then they get the same deal until I cancel it lol
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
BenG
Grafter

Nanotm thanks for the info, I got that OneDrive in the free email from outlook.com it also got like a little Office Build in to, quite smart as I am still using Office 2003, Microsoft seems to give away a few good things like I had a vector editor a few weeks back that is amazing , were I do volunteer work they do a lot with graphics but they have to resort to in-design or Photoshop that costs a lot for each computer, now I got them using the free one from Microsoft and it almost as good as in-design if not better for vector.
anyway thanks again for all the help.
I go and have a play around with this OneDrive