cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloning laptop hd to larger capacity hd.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Cloning laptop hd to larger capacity hd.

I am seriously considering swapping my laptop hard drive for one with a larger capacity and cloning OS and everything else across. Having done some reading up, it seems I have to leave the old drive in the laptop and link the new one via USB but am a bit stumped as how to link it up being as obviously it's an internal drive. So the question is..how is this done?

Secondly, Which programme would be better to use when I haven't done this before except once using DriveClone and that was back in early XP days. I have been told that DriveImage or Clonezilla are both good...but what do you think?

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
16 REPLIES 16
dvorak
Fixes: 1,459

Re: Cloning laptop hd to larger capacity hd.

I'd go with CloneZilla Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@dvorak

Thanks for your input on the software, but how do I attach the new hd to usb?. By the way, I checked in the BIOS and I don't have the option to boot from USB, it's either HD or Disc.  Undecided

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

When I was an engineer we used a device to connect internal HDDs via usb. It basically converts your HDD to be a USB HDD without an enclosure.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-SATA-Adapter-Cable-Drives-en-GB-SATA-USB-3-0-converter/dp/B01N2JIQR7/re...

Some computers have ESATA which just requires a cable that will plug in to a port directly to the HDD.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,459

I use an adapter similar to the one @jaread83 shared Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

price point of £5.99 is a lot cheaper than when I got my IDE to USB converter back in 2004!

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 73

I used a similar conversion kit fro SanDisk, it cost me a lot less than this one but not many people seem to sell them now:https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDSSDCK-AAA-G27-SSD-Conversion-Kit/dp/B008ZIO1CW

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As a side note, I used to use Norton Ghost at an enterprise level but it looks like the software has now been discontinued. I had a look at Clonezilla and this looks perfect for a single machine clone/backup/restore solution.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Cheers guys, just been looking at some enclosures on Amazon, and from £3.99 it looks like they got a sale. Also been looking at CloneZilla and a couple of other progs...still not sure which to go for yet though.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If you get to the point where you have cloned the HDD and plugged it in to boot up and it doesn't work... you can always put the old HDD back in and try something else Smiley

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@jaread83

That's a good point. DriveClone was very easy to use and it also managed the size of the partitions (if any) automatically. Will have another look at CloneZilla.

EDIT.

DriveClone  now has a free version AND now works in Win7. Happy days.  Cheesy

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Let us know how it goes!

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

If you get an enclosure, after cloning and swapping the hard drive in the laptop, stick the old one in the enclosure and use it as a backup device.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@wisty

I was thinking the same. It'll come in handy for storing a few bits and bobs. I do have an external but that's not far off full, having said that it's only a 250 gig.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Have you considered cloning your hard drive to one of a smaller capacity?  Replacing a conventional electro-mechanical hard drive with an SSD can do wonders for the performance.  But SSDs are a lot more expensive per unit of capacity than old-fashioned hard drives.