Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clock is wrong everytime I boot up!

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Clock is wrong everytime I boot up!

Dell Inspiron 2200  about 5 years old..... main battery is dead, but does get "some"  charge when plugged into the mains.. (enough to keep it  going for about 1 minute! ! )....
Everytime I boot up. the clock shows the wrong time....strangely by five hour slow... the minutes are correct..... could this be the BIOS battery.... or is it "defaulting" to the US time because of low voltage?
18 REPLIES 18
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Clock is wrong everytime I boot up!

As you know the usual culprit in this case is the onboard 2032 battery and normally the date is reset to a much earlier one.
Can you check the time zone in the clock settings?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Have you tried going into the bios screen and checking the time there.
At least this will rule out the operating system or not as the case may be as what you are describing sounds like a time zone problem not a CMOS battery problem
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm with Jim on this. If the minutes are right and it is always 5 hours out it's a time zone setting problem and not the BIOS battery.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
matt_2k34
Grafter

sounds like a time zone problem not a CMOS battery problem

Although if its defaulting to -5 hours, it could be a timezone setting in the BIOS (which would then be offset by the OS), depends how decent the BIOS on the Dell is, ive just refurbed an E5410 - and the bios on that is pretty slick! its like opening System Information in windows Smiley
Regards
shutter
Community Veteran

Have checked the timezone thing and it looks like it was defaulting to that.... so have re-set it with my own location, and will see how it pans out next time I boot up..
Thanks guys.  Wink
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: shutter
Dell Inspiron 2200  about 5 years old..... main battery is dead, but does get "some"  charge when plugged into the mains.. (enough to keep it  going for about 1 minute! ! )....

I'm curious.. you know its duff but you still keep it? (and then wonder why your system is screwy?)  Shocked
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
artmo
Aspiring Champion

My money goes on Strat.  it sounds like the CMOS battery needs changing.
here's some info on it:
Battery
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: okrzynska
Dell Inspiron 2200  about 5 years old..... main battery is dead, but does get "some"  charge when plugged into the mains.. (enough to keep it  going for about 1 minute! ! )....

I'm curious.. you know its duff but you still keep it? (and then wonder why your system is screwy?)  Shocked

A bit like your car then  Cheesy Grin Cheesy
I do have two more up to date laptops,.... this one is being used to trial Linux MINT with the intention of getting used to the way it works, and eventually dumping Windows.... AND ... I keep it in the boot of the car, so I can use it on our journeys around the country, (with my 100% reliable and extremely economical {{ {  65 + m.p.g. } }} SKODA FABIA 1.9 SDI 10 years old and 162,000 miles on the clock, of which I have enjoyed driving over 105,000  of them ! ! ! ....  Cheesy )
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Lol... thats fixed and running Wink (Ok, still got a couple of electrical gremlins but it starts, runs, moves etc).
162k? Blimey thats good going for a skoda.. I still prefer Volvo lumps myself.. you'll get 500K out of one of them before its considered run in (and in that time the rest of the car will drop apart first before the engine dies).
Anyway, change the CMOS battery Wink My mate had non-stop problems with one of his machines years ago where it would randomly freeze. CMOS battery was low and was basically causing the clock to do weird things which Windows couldn't fathom and would consequently hang. CMOS batteries affect computers in odd ways so you really are better off spending £2 and changing it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
square
Grafter

If it was the CMOS battery it wouldn't retain the correct minutes either.
It would always reset to the same hour as well.
Sounds to me like it is doing a check with a time server at start up that is 5 hours different to us.
shutter
Community Veteran

Yeah, I think it was the settings,... cos the minutes are definitely correct... ... still running at the correct time... will see how it is in the morning after being shut down for the night.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@shutter, So is it working ok now?
shutter
Community Veteran

Yes, thanks,..... working fine.... it was the settings... so the old machine is still firing on all points ! ... Cheesy 
Oh, and I forgot to say... It is running LINUX MINT 11..... with quite a few of my windows progs working too !... so am chuffed to bits... Cheesy
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Yes, thanks,..... working fine.... it was the settings... so the old machine is still firing on all points ! ... Cheesy 

Maybe that should be running on all ports Grin